Does Blender support biped?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Does Blender support biped?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all,

Does Blender support biped?

Thanks in advance
:)

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
Biped is a spesific feature inside 3D Max

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2008) [#3]
Is it a 3D Max possible feature only?

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#4]
After using Blender for a few days and following a few of the tutorials, I was astonished at how easy it was to rig and animate a character model in blender. It really is a very good program, well worth the time to learn.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, whoever works on it for a few days think like you. One shouldn't say "meh, blender has sucky interface, blender is a bad application". I love it too.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#6]
Blender doesn't suck, but its interface does need a lot of work. That said, there are other 3D apps out there with bad interfaces too, but the UI is one of Blender's weakest points. Generally it's only beginners who think everyone will realise how awsome it is after a few days of use.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#7]
Maybe it's just me and I'm not trying to act as a fanboy of Blender but 3D Studio Max's UI looks more frustrating to me. (Yeah I tried to use it before blender and it was harder for me)

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#8]
I'm not fan of Max's UI. It really needs to be simplified, and the "just shove it in that corner" attitude towards new tools needs to change. Blender's UI certainly has a logical backbone to it, and I love how simple it is compared to Max, but some of the conventions that run through the UI as a whole lack consistency in a big way, making things confusing and irritating to learn. I managed to deal with Max without the need for a manual, but a few times while using Blender I ran into a strange UI inconsistency which forced me to visit a tutorial. Nothing about the solution I found was logical in terms of how the rest of the UI was set up to work.

Max's UI, despite being a mess, manages to keep a decent level of consistency throughout. And, this is true of other packages like XSI, Maya and Lightwave as well.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#9]
I should add that Ton (if you know who he is) is working towards a more uniform UI, so it'll be interesting to see what Blender Foundation come up with. I'm happy using the current one, it's just sometimes I wish the people who harp on about how it, "really is good" weren't programmer/artists or beginners and had some idea of why many experienced artists (not necessarily me :)) don't find it a good working environment.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#10]
Man, blender has come A LONG WAY, since i last used it :D

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#11]
Blenders great. The animation system is superb and it can export B3D, what more do we need for character modelling for B3D :)

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#12]
The best thing about using 3dsmax with blitz3D was the pipeline extensions. They extended B3D functionality by a huge amount and saved programmers a lot of work too. I think that was the one thing that made 3ds max stand out over other b3d compatible apps.

Most 3D apps are pretty similar once you learn the various shortcuts and don't rely on the UI so much. It's just whether you enjoy using the app enough to get familiar enough to use it properly that is the tough part. That plus artists work in different ways and will find one apps workflow will suit their mindset better than another. You just have to pick the one you feel most comfortable with or fits your budget if your strapped.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#13]
The only UI that I really like is Lightwave's. I'll take simple buttons that feature textual descriptions of their functions over a cluttered mass of indecipherable icons any day.

Blender's UI is lousy. Using the application is a deeply unpleasant experience. Perhaps Blender users who lack substantial experience of other applications don't notice this so much.

Vilu(Posted 2008) [#14]
Man, blender has come A LONG WAY, since i last used it :D

Indeed.

Here's something really cool that is done with Blender and few other open-source tools:
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org

I suggest downloading the 1080p version for the best effect. :) It really puts even some big budget Hollywood animations into shame.