fragmotion a good replacment for character fx?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/fragmotion a good replacment for character fx?

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#1]
its in the title really, i find character effects a bit annoying to use, and i would like something to replace it. i have cinema 4d r10 which only has very limit export options so ive been using unwrap3d and character fx to do my animated models. any fragmotion users coments would be great. i havent done any animation for ages so i havent really got anything to test with the demo

Pete

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#2]
Why not animate in C4D, and then use Unwrap3D to convert to (I'm assuming) B3D?

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#3]
I would try out PaceMaker as a replacement for CharacterFX. Give the demo a go. It`s a great program and the author is a very helpful guy.

There are also some great video tutorials to watch to get the hang of the program.

Here`s the link.
http://www.goddysey.com/pacemaker.htm

Jason.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#4]
Reactor: c4d only exports static meshs

Quicksilva: I beta tested Pacemaker and have a full copy but never really got on with it. animating with it is great but vertices is really fiddly.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#5]
Are you sure about that? Surely there's an animated format you can export it out as.

6(Posted 2008) [#6]
C4d can only save animations in either fbx or c4d file formats. Fbx would be cool, but unfortunately fbx formats vary between applications and so the Cinema4d fbx can't be read properly by other 3d software. The only application that i've found that can read the cinema4d fbx format is the Quicktime plugin, but its view only and play only, there is no conversion available.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#7]
I asked this in another thread, but what about the fbx converter from Autodesk's website? It can convert from various fbx versions to 3ds or collada.

6(Posted 2008) [#8]
I tried that and it didn't work. The model exports, but the animation is not attached.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#9]
Can you make the model and animation available? I'd like to see if it'll load into Motionbuilder.

6(Posted 2008) [#10]
I just PM'd you, Reactor. Its just a simple anim file.

I tried CharacterFX again last night and finally got my head round how it works so i'll use this for now.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#11]
fragmotion is a lot better than characterFX in my experience

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#12]
Pacemaker is excellent! Only gripe is you can't delete the total number of frames you have. So you might end up with 300 frames, but only have an animation from 0 - 30 and 270 to 300. Takes some time to get used to, but great once you get to know it. Plus it has built in physics support.