Adding bones - Software needed?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Adding bones - Software needed?

Amon(Posted 2008) [#1]
Can anyone recommend some software where I can add a seleton to my models?

I already have FragMotion, MilkShape and Character FX but just can't get on with them. I'm looking for something not too cheap and not too expensive.

Please don't tell me to use XSI, 3D Studio Max, or Maya because I don't have that kind of cash available to spend on those. Even if I did have the cash I wouldn't buy any of them anyway.

Here's what I currently work with. I do all modelling in Silo 2, Texturing in Unwrap and Photoshop so Just need some middleware software to add bones and make animations.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
http://www.insanesoftware.de/

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#3]
Generally you get what you pay for. Blender is the exception in that it can rig quite well and obviously costs nothing. But, learning how to rig in Blender might be more of a pain than spending some cash on something else. I'd certainly try a tutorial and give it a whirl, though.

What's wrong with FragMotion and Character FX?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#4]
I don't really know where you're struggling with Milkshape I have no issue with it, maybe you should post on the respective forums for those products and see if there's any tutorials available.

Amon(Posted 2008) [#5]
What's wrong with FragMotion and Character FX?

Well, fragMotion has some weird way of adding bones and moving them. I had to spend a good 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use the interface but gave up in the end. CharacterFX is good but it runs too slow in my vista machine. Don't know why.

Are there any tools like characterFX, Fragmotion etc but more professional ie. costing more than $100?

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#6]
ive not used fragmotion as i have character FX and unwrap3d so didnt see any reason to buy it, but Character fx once you get used to it is a very good bit of software. ive made all but one of my animated meshes in it, the other one was made with pacemaker. which like charcter fx is very good once youve learnt it.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#7]
http://store.softimage.com/store/Products/Details/default.asp?fam=false&ITEMID=250&lang=en

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#8]
have you thought about Pacemaker, i haven't tried it personaly yet, but i've read on these forums how people like it.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#9]
I would agree with boomboom... but that's just me :)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hi Amon,
Why don't you try this:
http://www.sxcreations.com/lr3d/lightray3d.php
It is not expensive, it is Blitz3D compatible, and in my opinion better by far from the programs you already own.
It has an excellent biped system
LightRay3D is not popular among Blitz3D users and I cannot understand the reason. It is an 'all in one' solution

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#11]
lightray ive not seen this ill give it a try ;OP

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#12]
@Moraldi: According to the description of lightray3d,
Biped bone skeleton for fast and easy character animation editing with reusable animations(own file format)

Does this help your rigging a lot? In what way? Could you elaborate more?

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#13]
i guessing that if you have a few characters that all have the same basic movements you could give them the same walk jump animations etc?