Latest version of Blender released.

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Latest version of Blender released.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#1]
The latest version of Blender (2.46) is finally upon us. 8o]

Blender, for those that have recently abandoned their rock dwelling, is a very capable 3D modelling, rendering, compositing and NL video/audio editing package that's open source and...Wait for it...Completely *FREE*.

This release features updates and tweaks made by the Project Peach team during the production of Big Buck Bunny.

Downloads are available here (Windows, OSX, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD).

A list of updates and changes can be found here.

If you're new to Blender, links to lots of free video tutorials can be found here.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#2]
oOOoo! :)

Yan(Posted 2008) [#3]
...Resurrected this thread as there's really no need to create a new one...

Version 2.47 of Blender is now available here.

This is mainly a bug fix release, but the snapping tools have been beefed up somewhat.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#4]
Has the interface been replaced with a decent one yet? ;)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#5]
Oi! Its fine the way it is ;p

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#6]
... if you like memorising keyboard shortcuts. :D

deps(Posted 2008) [#7]
You can click on stuff with the mouse too, you know. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
... if you like memorising keyboard shortcuts. :D

Almost all of the professional artists I know using 3dsMax, Lightwave, Maya, Softimage, whatever, almost exclusively use the keyboard shortcuts, because it's much quicker. So I don't think it'll make much difference to them.

I thought it was only muppets like me that actually use the mouse much for 3d work.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#9]
Well, yeah, I use keyboard shortcuts when I use Lightwave, but I don't have to in order to be productive. You're almost forced to use them with Blender because the GUI is a broken, non-standard nightmare.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#10]
You need to learn the shortcuts to be (highly) productive in any program. Too many icons and bars eat up too much screen imo, i usually choose view -> icons(off) as the first thing i do once i have the shortcuts mastered.

I actually started work on a printable keyboard map but its not finished. I will post it here when i get home as a new topic in CCT as an open project to improve. If everyone adds their favorite shortcuts it should prove an effective guide for everyone.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#11]
good idea danman

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#12]
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80056

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#13]
That's great! but I prefer 3DS Max all the way for games development...

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#14]
For those who don't want to follow the link to the other thread, HERE is the Blender Hotkey Map that D4NM4N was looking for.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#15]
hi, i keep getting an error when i try to download blender. can someone email me the installer?

ardee(Posted 2008) [#16]
What sort of error? Just tested it myself and downloads OK. The smallest Windows Package is 9Mb so not going to email that.

Try it from one of the other mirrors... USA, Germany, Asia, NL (links just below each package)

On Windows I prefer to use the .zip version as you can install it anywhere and have multiple versions running quite happily. That's just my preference.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#17]
thnx i got it now