Not enough materials in 3ds max

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Not enough materials in 3ds max

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
What do I do when I use all the material slots in 3ds max but still need more?

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#2]
I trust you have the material set up to 6x4 material slots?

Once those are used up you just create new ones over the old materials. Your old materials are still going to be in your scene if you still use them.

You can reset all material slots at once with the Utilities/Reset Material Slots.

In the toolbar below the material slots, the first one on the left (get material) will allow you to see all the materials in your scene if you pick the scene radio button. You can drag and drop these materials over your material editor slots, load materials from other scenes and drag them into your current scene etc.

To edit an existing material thats no longer in a slot, just pick the material in your max viewport with the eye dropper (next to the material name field) or drag them from the get material dialogue.

It doesn't take long to get used to how it works, but can be quite confusing for people starting out.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#3]
How do I create a new material over an old one?

You can reset all material slots at once with the Utilities/Reset Material Slots.

I don't see anything like this in the Utilities panel or "More" utilities list.

fredborg(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's in the Material Editor window menu...

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#5]
There are several ways. Often I reuse an existing material that is similar to the new one I want to create.

I'm not sure what 3dsmax is set to by default, but if you right click on a material slot and the right click menu has drag copy checked.

Then the easiest way is to drag a similar existing material to another slot, If you change the name of the copied material it will become its own unique material, then you can just change the textures and other properties.

If you want to create a new material from scratch, you pick a slot and click on the text button to the right of the material name field. Depending on how your exporter works, you may have a custom material type that supports your engines features directly. Or you can just select standard (standard max material)from the list of material types in the dialogue box. Once you pick your material type it may ask you whether you want to keep your current material as a sub material. If you choose no, then you can build a new material from scratch.

You will notice that some material slots have the corners highlighted, whilst others don't. The ones with highlighted corners are actually being used in your current scene. The others are materials that havent been asigned to anything yet.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks, I think I got it to work by copying the material.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#7]
What do I do when I use all the material slots in 3ds max but still need more?

You throw Max away and use XSI instead ;)

chi(Posted 2008) [#8]
this little script works nice for me... Material Editor Utilities (bottom of page)
up to 48 slots in medit ;)

http://www.sloft.net/category/maxscripts/

cheers, chi

Santiworld(Posted 2015) [#9]
hi, can i use blitz material in 3dsmax 2012?

regards, santiago

Mithril(Posted 2015) [#10]
@Reactor: You throw Max away and use XSI instead ;)

XSI is a nice tool, too bad Autodesk is doing all it can to kill it off. I prefer Modo myself, the reason is that I started using Videoscape 3d when it came on the Amiga. I just followed suit through Lightwave.. and then when he left to start up Luxology.. Modo. I prefer Modo, I find it more intuitive to work with.

Edit: removed a bit of needless nonsense.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#11]
:'(

....sniff.....

XSI....how I wish I could still use my copy......sniff......