3D MegaCIty Models?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3D MegaCIty Models?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hiya all,

I am willing to pay 100 to 200 pounds for good 3D Mega City Models but it would be nice if there was 3D Free City or Mega City models.

So far I found

http://www.3drt.com/3dm/levels/urban_set/urban_set.htm

the price is 161 pounds.

is there any 3D City or MegaCity that are better models and better value for moneys?

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#2]
The geometry is very simple - why don't you make your own building based on those screenshots? It wouldn't be difficult at all.

puki(Posted 2008) [#3]
You should have bought this 4 months ago when the coupon code was available - I paid £101.42 UK for it.

However, I still think it is good value at £161.00.

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=74650

Do a search on Turbosquid - seach in '3D models' for 'city'.

A cheaper alternative - $199 (roughly £100): http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/187581

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#4]
hey justluke,

which 3D Modelings do you think I should used to make 3D City Mesh?

thank puki and I would be buying that :)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hmm, I'm not sure. Do you have any 3d modelling experience? From looking at the screenshots that you and Puki have posted links to, it would seem that most of the buildings are very simple geometric shapes. Most entry level 3d modeller should be good enough to create similar models, but I'm rather clueless about the latest entry level software packages. I only know about Lightwave, really, and that's way too expensive and complex for your needs.

To be honest, the textures make or break these type of models. Decent textures = decent buildings. Poor quality textures = odd-looking lumpy boxes. If you have access to a digital camera (and any reasonably modern real-life town or city) then this shouldn't be a problem.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#6]
I used 3D World Studio :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#7]
I can import models such as .CSM and .Wmp (A6 Map)

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#8]
3D World Studio

Is a world building tool not a modeler.

You need something like Blender or AC3D there are others.
You need something that can export 3DS or DirectX.
There is a tool that comes with 3D World Studio that converts 3DS and DirectX files to a format that 3D World Studio can use.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#9]
depending on the level of interaction with said buildings you could get away with just boxes and a really decent texture
aside from a dabble of a neighbours need for speed on xbox the only urban driving game ive played was the rather shitty midtown madness demo i doubt chicago is that small and the scale seemed wrong for alot of things (the base ball feild for one) kinda like having an action man (the old foot tall ones) stood next to an xwing (although the analogy would be great for macross zentradi (sp) warriors ;) )

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#10]
AC3D is good modelings software :)

*(Posted 2008) [#11]
I would use Milkshape3d for the meshes and then use blitz to place em in the world :)