isolatation of singer's voice from music

Community Forums/Developer Stations/isolatation of singer's voice from music

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all,

Is it possible to isolate singer's voice from music in mp3?

Thanks in advance

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
Try this:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vremover.htm

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#3]
There is no accurate way of doing it. Most vocal removers work on the principle that the vocal is a constant in the middle of the mix. The left and right waveforms are inverted and swapped over then added back to the original, this pretty much counters out the vocal and leaves anything that wasn't dead centre (more or less). It's far from an exact science!

The big problem is the bassline, bassdrum and snare are usually dead centre too so these get lost (or reduced)

Regarding isolating the vocal you would then take the vocal free track, invert it and add that back to the original, but this rarely gives any kind of decent result.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#4]
@Beaker: Thanks a lot!

@Rob Farley: Thanks a lot! Wow... It seems to me it is a VERY complex process!!!

sswift(Posted 2008) [#5]
Rob:
Not so fast. :-)

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/04/miraculous_dire.php

This may allow you to remove a voice from a song, once it becomes available. Of course it'll probably cost you a pretty penny.

Cool technology though!

I don't know how it works for sure, but it is porbably a combination of fourier analysis to seperate the music into frequencies, and some other algorithm to figure out which parts of that spectrum goes with each note.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#6]
That's amazing, but do all americans pronounce "MIDI" that way?

sswift(Posted 2008) [#7]
Medee? No. I pronounce it mihdee. That's the way I always heard it pronounced. I thought it was odd when I heard him pronounce it that way as well.

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#8]
No. When the specs first came out, I'd hear it as Mee-dee every now and then, but as it became more and more popular, I heard mee-dee less and mid-ee more(mid as in midway). Now I almost never hear anyone pronounce it mee-dee.
I guess it's like Linux. People were not sure how it was pronounced, but now it is more popular, and the pronunciation is more or less consistent, there are still a few people that can't break the mis-pronunciation habit.