Next Gen 3D Modelings?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Next Gen 3D Modelings?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hiya there,

Is there Next generation 3D Modelings like 3D World studio 6(I dont know when that come out). Does anyone have link for Next generation 3D Modelings?

I am sure anyone know what I mean...if not I have lots of expalin to do lol

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#2]
There is no such thing as next-gen. If there's a specific type of effect you're after, mention that and I'll let you know of a few tools you'll need to produce it.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#3]
there is indeed next generation modeling software, depenends how you define next generation.

check this out, you can do modeling with it and rendering, it is being used for game modeling as well
http://www.google.com/sketchup/index.html

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#4]
That's like saying there's banana elephant modelling software too... it's just depends on how you define banana elephant.

Your point is made to look mute anyway... if you wanted to produce a 3D model with a normal map (which is a pretty average thing to do for "next generation" games these days) Sketchup isn't going to get you anywhere. You can't even bevel in Sketchup. It's a program designed for cad-style models, not game work.

"Next generation" is a silly fad word that came about because of the new standards in game console graphics. That's all.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#5]
The reason why I say next gen 3D Modelings that you can do bump mapping and other stuff effect such as glow,dynamic shadowing,static shadowing and Realtime Rendering of Exteriors.

I would say this 3D modelings does come close to my list which called 3d-mesh-blacksmith just for 20 EURO.

you have get used to Inferface and take time to models things that you would like and there is demo download you know.

here the link.

http://3d-mesh-blacksmith.tlk-games.com/

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#6]
The problem with programs like BlackSmith is that it's decidedly not WYSIWYG, because every engine works differently. So the ability to preview realtime shadows and normal maps is next to useless if it looks completely different in the engine you're using. You'd be better off writing yourself a basic modelviewer in the engine you're using, I'd have thought. Or use tools dedicated to it.

"Next generation" is a silly fad word that came about because of the new standards in game console graphics. That's all.

What kind of word is "mute" then? :)

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#7]
I like 3dsmax combined with shaderFX, the shaders will look the same in any engine, and CG support is coming in the next version.

For next gen artwork you can't really beat the usual high end apps, Z brush or Blender if your on a budget.

there are some cheaper alternatives to Zbrush like 3D coat that looks promising and does some really nice things. Used to be called 3DBrush.

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#8]
Normal maps are not next-gen, they're so old tech that they are almost "so 80's"...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#9]
Very true.

Getting back to what I mentioned earlier- what is it you want to do, Hotshot2005?

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#10]
Normal maps have been pretty much standard since 2001 when the old Xbox came out and almost every game featured a range of basic normal and specular map shaders.