silo

Community Forums/Developer Stations/silo

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2008) [#1]
Has anyone heard of a program called silo?
If you have or use it can you give me some pros and cons? or is there a better program under 150$?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
Depends what you want it for. For pure poly modelling, it's one of the very best. It's poly modelling tools beat out most of the high end tools. It reminds me of Wings, which I know is used by a number of artists who own 3dsMax, Maya, Lightwave, etc, simply because the workflow for poly modelling is so good. I don't think there's anything else at this price point which remotely compares with it, apart from Wings itself, which is still lacking in some areas compared to Silo.

For detailing and sculpting, it's a poor man's ZBrush, with the emphasis on poor as the last version I tried was still very buggy. If you really want ZBrush but you can't afford it, I'd say either keep saving or manage without it, because Silo isn't going to compare.

And please can you remove that ugly animated signature image? It's incredibly distracting when I'm trying to answer your question. :)

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2008) [#3]
could i create good game models with it though?

and....i know i thought it would distact people when there typeing, i was waiting for somone to say somthing :)

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
I don't know what natural talent you have, nor how dedicated you are, so it's not really possible for me to say what you'll be able to do with it. It's a very capable modeller, so if you even remotely like the interface, and you're prepared to put the work in, then I don't don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to create good models with it.

But really, if you haven't already, try the demo, watch the video tutorials, try it out a bit.

And thank you, the astronaut is far less distracting.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#5]
check this out as well:

http://www.mudbox3d.com/

its a rich mans Zbrush but with real 3d navigation anv view for all of us who can't get used to 2.5D Zbrush uses.

Its a strong tool, in higher class then silo, and only 100$ more expensive then silo for basic version which is still powerfull ;)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Amapi is great modeller. It has NO uv tools or ability to texture and properly export. I use it, cause it came free with a magazine. Export to .3ds and texture in ultimate unwrap. Tried silo, but never gave it much time.