3ds Max Video Training?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3ds Max Video Training?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'd like to brush up on my 3dsMax skills and maybe learn a few new ones. I don't want to buy multiple disc sets of training because they cover dozens of subjects that don't interest me and aren't useful to me. I'm thinking of sites which sell individual lessons for a few bucks, preferably downloadable.

Like 3DBuzz only with more variety and cash involved.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
I know it's a bit lame, and don't know the legality of it, but they is quite a few on youtube. Maybe worth a gander?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3dmax+training&search_type=

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah, there are one or two interesting views on YouTube, but it suffers from the same problem as 3DBuzz, namely that there isn't a lot of choice. I was really hoping for the kind of comprehensive selection which might normally form a set of three dvd's, but separated out so that you can buy just the episodes which interest you as downloadable videos. I can find a few places selling sets, but I don't really want to spend $100 plus for 4 hours of tutorials, 3:45:00 of which won't interest me. Possibly I'm being overly optimistic in what I want.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
That's probably how they make their money...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#5]
The target of those DVDs is to offer a comprehensive tutorial on the technology. Not single point tutorials.
It wouldn't make sense for them, given the amount of time it takes to create them. Chances that many would be willing to pay 15-20 USD on 15min is quite little I would say ... Given the fact that they already spend 3000+ USD on the app there is little reason why they should really think about 100 USD for 4 hours of tutorials ...

you are just an exception :)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Wouldn't cost too much to offer them as an online download though. Split up the tuts, and offer individual sections as downloads, and reduce the price.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#7]
That's probably how they make their money...

Yeah, I can see how they might prefer to sell them in bundles to make more money. Bandwidth costs would be another issue, I suppose. Still you'd think some bright, enterprising spark would have thought of it.

Given the fact that they already spend 3000+ USD on the app there is little reason why they should really think about 100 USD for 4 hours of tutorials ...

I would assume that people learning 3dsMax would be in their target audience. 3dsMax costs £75 for a 2 year academic license, which I think is pretty reasonable, even for a student.

In any case, there are a vast number of user created video tutorials around, so I guess I'll have to make do with those. I just would have liked to find something which was a little more organized and focused.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
Oh, and I found these on Gnomonology this morning :

http://gnomonology.com/group/24

They have a few others, including 3dsMax, Maya, Photoshop, Lightwave and more, although ZBrush is by far the most common subject.

Prices are excellent, at around $10 per chapter and some of those chapters are over an hour long.

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#9]
3dbuzz.com has a pile of free VTM's on many programs, should go take a look.

I had 25 of them sent to me so I could watch them over and over...hehe...all diff parts of Max of course.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#10]
I have. That's why I mentioned 3DBuzz in my first post ;)