Need futuristic gun that doesn't suck

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Need futuristic gun that doesn't suck

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
Just like the title says. Have money.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
what kind of futuristic gun?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#3]
Something that shoots bullets or a plasma-like projectile. Long and automatic, not a pistol or sniper rifle.

North(Posted 2008) [#4]
animated?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#5]
no, that is not needed

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#6]
Bullets? Even US army is using lasers already:

Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response (PHaSR)

PHaSR gun

The Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response (PHaSR) is a rifle-sized laser weapon system that uses two non-lethal laser wavelengths to deter, prevent, or mitigate an adversary’s effectiveness. The laser light generated by this weapon illuminates or “dazzles” aggressors, temporarily impairing individuals and their ability to see the laser source.

_toobigimage_http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/051101-F-0000S-012.jpg
_toobigimage_http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070403-F-3293G-004.jpg

http://www.kirtland.af.mil/photos/media_search.asp?q=stimulation

And NAVY just shot it's huge Railgun. Bullets - definately OLD :)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#7]
Those are so idiot, you have to hit your enemy in the eyes. Crap like that is just an excuse to funnel money from the government to "private" companies.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#8]
i got a super awesome pistol but nothing long
i got a cool looking rifle but didn't make it so i can show you were i got it does that count? it was free.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#9]
I'd like to see both.

It can be up to about 3000 polys.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#10]
ok
can i email them to you cause i don't have a plce to put zip files.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
i'm just gonna email them to your support at leadwerks.com address.
i aso found a bunch of guns and stuff in something idownlaoded free and the license says i can give them to you.
however i can't take credit for anything but the pistol.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#12]
i couldn't get hotmail to send the other guns but you got my pistol and my rifle. if you want the other guns then I can send them.
p.s there coming under the name of monkeyboy101.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#13]
Lots of talk but no emails.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#14]
i sent it. check you junk folder

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#15]
Nope.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#16]
really well ill try again.

ok i just checked my email and i got a reply from someone named chris saying "do not open this". it also got sent to you. Thats not you is it?

heres the email.
RE: guns for you from mayamann101ţ
Sent: Wed 2/06/08 11:12 PM
To: R Manwiller (monkeyboy101@...); (support@...)

Do not open this.

-----Original Message-----
From: "R Manwiller" <monkeyboy101@...: "support@..." <support@...: 02/06/08 5:06
PMSubject: guns for you from mayamann101

here you go. :)

[edit] it looks like it went through. tell me what you think.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#17]
leadwErks

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#18]
oops well i think i spelled the other one correctly. I wonder who i sent the other one to :) lol

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#19]
I would like to know they how are unusable, so that I may fix or recreate them better.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#20]
I can use something like 2000-4000 polys with a 2048x2048 texture. Those are not nearly as high-res.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#21]
would something like this work for you?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#22]
No. That is not good.

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#23]
You might get lucky this way or not... I think that some kind of more detailed description would help, like do you want bullpup or conventional, should it have magazine and red-dot sight etc... having people sent you their models "they had found or made years ago" will probably get you nowhere.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#24]
what file formats are you able to use. i just modeled a weapon thats 2888 polys but could go bigger and looks very nice. only problem is that im not much of a texture artist so i can give you the gun but no texture. it has a sight and a laser pointer and can shoot what ever you whant it to. btw what are you going to do with a 2000-4000 poly gun anyway, seems a bit big for real-time.

[edit] i upd the polys and made a pic. its now at 7448 polys

i still have the 2888 poly gun, it looks basicly the same.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#25]
@Leadwerks
Wouldn't it be a good idea if you drew a few sketches of what your looking for ?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#26]
I am not an artist. This is what my sketch would look like:

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#27]
i got an uzi that look just like that but its lowres but has a good texture. its hard to make a box 2000 polys.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#28]
heres a pic
however i can't accept anything for it cause it's not really mine, i don't know who made it. i got from a tutorial on this site.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#29]
I should get back into this modelling business.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#30]
i could use some competition.
@leadwerks if your not going to use these then i will stop bugging you.

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#31]
Competition? Hmmm... should I or not...

maximo(Posted 2008) [#32]
dont! halo needs something better, he aint giving a good description nor saying how much he would pay for this. let him put the money on the table and give real description. Why would 10 artist start competing just because he needs a gun, at the end he'll dissmiss most of your work without even saying thank you for trying. He's a businessman, so let him specify exactly what kind of gun he needs (perhaps he is not an artist but a written description of what one wants and needs is better then 20 of you guessing and asking him, would you like this way or that way).

ohh almost forgot, Ron Paul all the way, if not him then Obama!!!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#33]
I made you a gun here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> : : : ; ; ; ;
|------|-----|--|
|-----|---------|
|==|
|==|

dont kow how to render it for the 3d world though

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#34]
Here's a WIP

If thats any help

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#35]
I was saying that my artistic skill is so pathetic that my drawing would look as bad as the one above; I did not mean that was what I wanted.

plash(Posted 2008) [#36]
rofl, just search the web if your buying one.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2008) [#37]

The textures arent alright, but there is now material for fantasy (create a "jules verne"-thingy) ^^

by the way... Its a bit like "Jeremy Paxman - Yeeeeeeeees"s artwork..

GfK(Posted 2008) [#38]
I'm no expert but that's possibly the worst gun model I've ever seen.

What the hell is 'futuristic' about a revolver made of wood and no trigger?

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#39]
What the hell is 'futuristic' about a revolver made of wood and no trigger?

Two things, first the current human civilization is heading for oblivion. Because sooner or later fossil fuels will run out and humans wont be able to do advanced metallurgy. So the more gifted ( thinking that bow and arrows and cross bows are beneath them ) will use their wood working skills to produce revolvers and such like. :-)

And Second ( now here the clever bit ) these same people will have moral ethics wouldn't want to kill any body so they make them without a trigger (unless their just plain stupid) and if they did get the urge to kill then they can always you it as a very small club.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#40]
mayamann101
that gun is made by Psionic

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#41]
thanks i didn't know i'll give my credits to him.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#42]
ShadowTurtle very good job, I will pay for your work if LedWerks accepts it, name your price I will pay just get halo to accept it! :D nice job :D haha

Panno(Posted 2008) [#43]
The Gun isnt cool, but ST has it created with a Worldeditor written by ST himself. This is a cool Fact.
Nobody else create a Gun with a Worldeditor, only ST.

search for Scream3d

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#44]
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/308701

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#45]
i like boomboom's gun. if anyones interested or bored at work i have a way cool gun that needs a texture i have it "mapped" as to were i want certain types of texture like grip and such but i'm no good at this stuff.

Twitchfactor(Posted 2008) [#46]
Still need guns?

So, between 2k-4k? That's quite a stretch, but okay.

2k x 2k textures, huh? Using Unreal3? Those are large textures, considering no one runs a resolution where a gun that only takes up a third of the screen at best would need that kind of texel resolution, but okay...

Any normals? Specular? Or just old-school diffuse?

Panno(Posted 2008) [#47]
http://www.lkmachines.com/minigun.htm

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#48]
I hear that the M.O.D. are going to purchase 2,000,000 of these guns (see Panno's link) and issue them to the troops on active service, so that they can show the public that the army is being properly equipt (the down side is that they are a bugger to reload).

Leon Drake(Posted 2008) [#49]
i was working on this for UT3 still not finished lol

i also made the steam punk weta ray gun

but that one is selling on imvu right now

Leon Drake(Posted 2008) [#50]
probably not my best examples. i havent made any futuristic ones, mostly modern and off the wall guns

GfK(Posted 2008) [#51]
The first one looks like some kind of alien frog humping the USS Enterprise.

Second one is reasonable though!

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#52]
Leon: The second one looks pretty nice!

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#53]
0_o

you still need a gun that does not suk ?!

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#54]
All these attempts and not a single word of thanks from Halo. That's gratitude for you!

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#55]
I specifically asked for one that doesn't suck.

Panno(Posted 2008) [#56]
he josh i guess you will never find what you looking for ..

Tommo(Posted 2008) [#57]

About 13xx tris.
Just a WIP shot, not textured, not optimizated, even not UVed...
This model is just some kind of modelling exercise. If you like it, I can give it to you, just for the awesome engine you've made.
But it may take quite a while...
:)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#58]
Nice one Tommo I really liked it.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#59]
Tommo, the mesh looks great. You could double the polycount and it would be no big deal.

Tommo(Posted 2008) [#60]
OK, I'll try to add some more detail onto it.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#61]
plz do add more details!

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#62]
Heck even I like that gun Tommo. Very nice.

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#63]
Yep, that doesn't suck at all... very nice and original design!

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#64]
if you don't care about the program used to create the gun; you didn't specify after all, I suggest asking around at www.blenderartists.org/forum/. They are very talented there, I'm sure you can either find someone to hire or buy someone's work that is already completed.

Tommo(Posted 2008) [#65]
Just saw LWE2 demo, which is so awesome.
Time to start texturing...
The polycount is still not high (2000), more detail will be added through normal map.
Hope it can be done within this week.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#66]
Take a good look at how it looks from an FPS view. That is what people will be looking at most of the time.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#67]
Lovely.