looking for splat making terrain tool

Community Forums/Developer Stations/looking for splat making terrain tool

pimpom(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi, I am looking for splatmap generating terrain tools. Something that will allow me to paint terrain automagically based on angle + heights (or used strokes defined) and then export layers in different map colors, preferably separated like red green and blue instead of all combined into one. Else, maybe something that outputs texture layer with its own alpha.

I can use photoshop for this, but I really want something 3D based.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#2]
Ted allows for painting by height & slope and lets you export greyscale alpha maps of the various texture layers.

Not sure if thats what you need though, but it sounds similar-ish.

pimpom(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hi D4NM4N, that solution will work for me. I had considered T.Ed a few days ago, but found somewhat weird to be limited to 64 maximun terrain size (even using it was getting somewhat pointy terrains instead of smooth ones). Is there a way to go over 64?

Thank you.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sure, use blocks. 64x64 is just the maximum block size. 64x64 is about the top limit for a 6 layer vertex alpha mesh terrain block in B3D without some serious compatability errors with many older cards. If the terrains are pointy its because the resolution is too low, you can also use the smooth tool to average an area to make it less pointy.

For example try:
File > new > 32x32 multi terrain > 16x16 blocks. (16 block limit will be removed in later versions)

This will give you a 512x512 terrain in managable blocks. Obviously double that using 64x64 (if your machine can handle it)

Personally i reccommend using 32x32 blocks rather than 64x64 as they are faster and more dynamic (you can hide and show them more easily)

When exporting, you can choose to have these blocks as separate mesh files or as children in a single hierachical 3D model (that can then be loaded with B3D's "LoadAnimMesh()")

pimpom(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hi, using blocks indeed makes terrain bigger, but relative size of each unit remains the same. Please look at:

Right side is smoothed (just the closest mount). It indeed gets rid of the spikey look, but also takes out some of the elevation. What I wanted ideally was something that could have more height and look smooth.

I understand it's for compatibility sake, but maybe in future version you can allow user to add only as many texture layers as needed? (For example, instead of 6 texture layers, use 3 and allow 128 units?).

Thank you very much for your time, will still consider it towards purchase.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#6]
Interesting idea that. I will certainly consider it.

As for the smoothness, this is limited by the number of verts available (pretty much the same in any prog). The only way to make it smoother is to scale down the entire terrain and use a larger brush (or the auto features like heightmapping and autotexturing if its a huge terrain). You could also make it appear smoother in the game by using normal smoothing & clever lighting but only up to a point.