GMAX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/GMAX

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#1]
Has anybody ever heard of this program, It is a 3d modeling program and it is free, I just downloaded it, and it looks not unlike 3ds max.
It is made by the same company, but I got it off of turbosquid. Following a 3ds max Tutorial, so far, all the controlls are the same.

But instead of saving it as .max, it is .gmax

deps(Posted 2008) [#2]
Heard of it. Had some problems with ATI cards (font was not readable)
Haven't tried it in ages so I don't know if this is still an issue.

Last time I heard, it couldn't export to useful formats like .x or .b3d, Only .gmax

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#3]
I don't think you can legally export from GMax to anything else, even if you could find an exporter to do it. It's a cutdown version of 3DS Max aimed at training people or something, and although it's free I don't think you are allowed to use it for anything game or production related.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#4]
well it does export to 3ds, and i have no clue about that other stuff, but the place i got it said that it was used in dungeon seige. also, on the autodesk site it says it was discontinued, and they did not have a place to download it

Aoneweb(Posted 2008) [#5]
GMAX was originally designed to be included with games that used Max for the modeling.
A company could licence it, so you could write mods for the game it came with.
I beleive it was included in a couple of Microsoft sims, and one of ID's games, Possibably Quake 3.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#6]
i know it was said that it was great for modding