Dryad

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Dryad

impixi(Posted 2008) [#1]
Dryad…Is an example of a potentially good program made crap by its insistence on having an open connection to the internet.

It’s free 3d tree-creation software. It can only save in .OBJ format, which is not really a problem, but it insists on uploading created trees to its server – there is no option not to.

Block Dryad with your firewall? You can try – if you want to crash the program.

Maybe I’m missing something?

Well, it *is* ‘free’ software… I’d rather pay a few bucks than have this forced internet connection nonsense.

Anyone else tried it?

puki(Posted 2008) [#2]
"nawi" beat you to it: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75160

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#3]
It does not only upload trees, but also download new trees, as the FAQ states. So basicly there's a lot of traffic behind the scene. Not really the thing I like.

BTW if you need trees, how about our old open source project, simple tree creator. Mod the source as you want. These trees are however created with a single mouseclick:

http://www.melog.ch/dl/simple_tree_creator_2007.zip

puki(Posted 2008) [#4]
I forgot about "jfk's" tree creator - it's very good.

impixi(Posted 2008) [#5]
I use TreeMagik for my projects, but I'm always on the look-out for other tree creation software (free or otherwise).

JFK: I think I tried your tree creator ages ago, but like Puki I forgot about it. Will give it another shot later when I'm on my Windows system. Thanks.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#6]
woah, those trees are sweet! The light softly transfers from bright to dark on the trees, giving the appears of actually having billions of pines! How??

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#7]
Billions of pines? The scene is lightmapped with gile[s]. The app (stc) is using a simple cone as the trunk, but you could also load a mesh. Each branch is made of a single quad (bended in the middle). A masked texture is applied. These are true low poly trees, about 60 Tris per tree only. The random branch algorithm is very simple and could be optimized a lot.