Query:How To Make SkyBox in XSI

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Query:How To Make SkyBox in XSI

Matty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello,

I've googled and looked at the main tutorial pages for SoftImage XSI and have been unable to find what I am looking for.

What camera settings and other render settings do I need in order to produce textures that will be applied to a cube so that I can view it from within with no seams or stretching?

I know how to do a skybox in Terragen but don't seem to be able to transfer that knowledge to doing it in XSI.

If interested - I'm not actually using this to make an outdoor environment but rather an indoor environment which I hope to use the rendered image(s) as the visible area that the player can see and will create a low poly version to act as the occluder (using two render passes).

Thanks,
Matt

Matty(Posted 2007) [#2]
Sorry worked it out for myself. Simply set the camera field of view to 90 horizontal and render each frame facing at 90 degree angle intervals around the y axis then one facing directly up and one facing directly down.

Only problem - the only format XSI easily put into blitz is the .X format which is not quite right anyway as it flips the texture coordinates so that all the images need to be flipped horizontally. But this is a known problem with XSIs X exporter.

Anyway for those who are interested here is a sample skybox I was rendering with some code to load it:

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/Stuff/InteriorBox.zip