Blender Texture mapping help

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Blender Texture mapping help

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey, complete noob here,
I was wondering if anybody who uses blender knows how to import a texture, and then wrap it to the mesh. I have that Zombie one by psionic, but, I could not figure out how he did it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

ardee(Posted 2007) [#2]
The technique is known as UV mapping and is common to all 3D applications. Basically you create the 3d model. You then mark seams to allow the 3D model to be laid out flat like a sheet of paper. You then apply the image to the created layout (usually in a 2D package such as Photoshop or Gimp). Blender's UV mapping tools are regarded as the best in the business (a lot of commercial artists will use Blender in their pipeline just for UV mapping).

Try this short tutorial which gives a good overview of the basics and a walkthrough:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108901

There are literally hundreds of tutorials on the subject so just search until you find one you like.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks! I downloaded it, but I have not had the chance to do to much with it. It looks promising.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#4]
I just Tried it, and it was exactly what I wanted thank you!

Yan(Posted 2007) [#5]
I'd recommend the 'LSCM UVmapping' video tutorial found here as it also covers pinning, which is useful for creating a cleaner UV map.

[edit]
This tutorial is quite old and the 'LSCM' unwrap menu item is now called 'Unwrap'
[/edit]

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Texturing is surprisingly one of the more complicated parts of blender. While powerful it is very difficult at first to get to grips with (at least i thought so). To do standard UV texturing you basically have to load the texture in 2 places. One on the UV map window and once in the materials/texture area (remember to "mapto" UV) to assign a mesh reference to it on export (although i believe you can get away with simply using the UV window, however if you do, i think you have to load the texture again manually in the target application, as you will only export the mesh with UV coords, not the material references).

Persevere with it though, its a great app when you get to know its little quirks, and the B3D export script makes it a very good blitz tool :)

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#7]
i already have the b3d exporter. thnx though