...modo301 is out!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/...modo301 is out!

taumel(Posted 2007) [#1]
Wonderful modeller, sculpter, painter, render and render animation software, crossplatform (pay for one, get both platforms (win, osx) - just the way it should always be) although no animation support which you can use for reatlime gfx (hopefully will come with an 30x update). Great update from what i've seen so far!

-> http://www.luxology.com

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#2]
$895???

taumel(Posted 2007) [#3]
If you're new to Modo and according to their site, yes. Already existing customers got the update $100 cheaper if they bought before the tool came out so $295. If you count in the dollar exchange rate to € that's pretty sweet.

Keep in mind this is not on a Blender level. You get a very good customizeable interface, great modeller, physical based rendering, ... just watch their gallery.

N(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hey look, Silo! Just as awesome for much less.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#5]
If you enjoy comparing apples with bananas...

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#6]
Well I use Max every day at work and I can say that 95% of the features are just not needed for most games-related work. A simpler and cheaper modeller will suffice for most people, especially for in-game work. Cinematics and rendered intros and suchlike generally require a more powerful package.

Personally I like AC3D, it's simple, it's cheap, it has a nice intuitive UI, and it works well for lower poly game models.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#7]
I would say it depends on what you're used to and what kind of work you have to do. Modo is used in gamedev as well as for instance iD (they also offer some nice scripts for free) use it or it got used in World in Conflict.

I personally like it because contrary to 3dsmax it's affordable, crossplatform, wonderful licence and the user interface works pretty well. Doing physical based rendering is a lot of fun and it looks amazing. But as i said also for gaming it's a very solid package: you model something, sculpt in some detail, paint on the model or uv-map, export and bake out the maps. Only things which are missing are the rigging and that you can also save non premultiplied alpha images.

Anyway if you're looking for this functionality crossplatform you'll end up paying much more than that. If i would look for something cheap on osx only i think i would go for cheetah.

Hey now the bells ring: Gridwars! ;O)

iprice(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hmmm, you can get XSI Foundation + Silo 2 and modo still costs more. If one prefers modo or is used to it I can understand modo is the choice. I'd take Silo 2 for any static modelling and XSI for animations. If I had the money :)

Btw. Silo 2 and XSI are also used by the industry. Silo has been used for many characters and stuff in Heavenly Sword and XSI is famous for the models you can see in Half-Life 2 (I think the people creating Assassins Creed also use XSI).

I have heard about Cheetah. Seems to be a quite nice peace of software but OSX only.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#9]
a) XSI Foundation isn't available crossplatform and b) they differ in what you can do with them...

iprice(Posted 2007) [#10]
If XSI (Windows, Linux) isn't crossplatform then modo (Windows, Mac) isn't either.

Also I wrote XSI FOUNDATION. That's the cheap one ($500) and together with Silo 2 there's no way anyone would use modo instead (which can't even do animation). Only one thing would be: you're used to modo and like it.

If you're one the Mac, then go for Cheetah3D (which looks very very good to me) and Silo 2.

But if you like modo and are used to it then it's fine that you use it. Just don't write like "that's the best 3D package out there" - because a) from a price point of view there are other solutions that can do more for less money and b) it's always about preferences.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#11]
According to people/studios/agencies i know supporting win/osx serves more the crossplatform idea than win/linux. As i'm sitting in front of a mac you also don't mind that i prefer an app which also runs on there.

Secondly i quite don't understand that it's so hard to get that Silo+XSI Foundation != Modo. These are two different routes which both have their strengths in different fields. Therefore i quite can't follow your comparison.

I also didn't say that Modo is generally the best 3D package. I said it's the best you can get for that money if you're after the features which Modo is offering and that's true. You might wanna check out apps first before you just compare prices.

But i've learnt that it's better not offering news about products which are in a higher pricerange than a few bucks here in order not to aggravate posts like "but tool xyz costs only 10 bucks and i can also model..." without knowing what's actually behind.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#12]
Is the license of XSI Foundation for commercial or personal use?

iprice(Posted 2007) [#13]
Commercial

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#14]
The best tool is the one which allows you to get done easily what you have in mind. That's the end of the story, really.

I have quite a few different packages, and each one for different tasks. Wings3D for closed modelling, XSI for open... but I also have Hexagon 2 and Zbrush for different tasks as well. Some days I just like to do a render in Carrara, so I have that as well. Use whatever you like, and be excited about whatever you like.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#15]
Yep but practically it also can be a drag as you have to update different packages or exchange objects between them. I personally prefer having as less software involved as possible.

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#16]
I agree about updating programs (shifting objects between packages is to be expected in 3D) My general rule is- if it's working okay, the program doesn't need updating. XSI 4.2 does all I need for the moment (or the newer versions don't offer much more I need right now) so I'm happy with what I have. It's a balancing act. Having the flexability of one program along side another is just so helpful.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#17]
My 3d workflow involves Modo and Photoshop and in rare cases an old 3dsmax licence which hopefully will be obsolete as soon as Modo can rigg stuff. That's enough for what i need.