3ds max 8 to paint textures?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3ds max 8 to paint textures?

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is there some sort of plug-in (preferrably free!) for 3ds max 8 that can allow you to paint textures onto a mesh?

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#2]
Not really. Most of the painting tools are vertex coloring tools. I usually lay out all my UV's in max and then do all my texture painting in PS and ZBrush.

Try tattoo,... 3d paint written in blitz.
http://www.terabit-software.co.uk/

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
tattoo doesn't paint textures though, does it.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes it does. What did you think it did?

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#5]
I only saw it paint rgb's...

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#6]
What are rgbs?! It paints with photoshop style brushes.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#7]
rgb's = red blue green's = colored pixels.

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#8]
And colored pixels are not textures?

Seriously, there are 3 ways to color objects that I can think of.

1. Object (entity) color
2. Vertex Colors
3. Texture Maps

What are you referring too? I've been doing this for 20 years and I have no idea what you are referring to. Colors use RGB values of course, but that applies to all methods.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#9]
I was talking about picking a texture file (bmp, tga, jpg, etc.) and painting that directly onto a mesh, like how maya does it.

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#10]
Oh,... so you are not talking about painting on a mesh at all. You just want to apply a texture that has been already made?

Look in the Max help at the material editor, and possibly UV coordinates if you don't already have them on your mesh.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#11]
no, like taking a brush and painting a texture onto it...(click and drag on a mesh, the projected mesh area has that texture placed to it)

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#12]
Ahh. Take a look at the polyboost plug-in. Lots of poly modelling stuff in there, and some good texture painting tools also.

http://www.polyboost.com/

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#13]
awesome, thanks

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#14]
dang, It's not free...any freeware lol?