gile[s] controls - is it just me?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/gile[s] controls - is it just me?

puki(Posted 2007) [#1]
Anyone else find the controls in gile[s] really painful?

I'm finding V2 particuarly painful at pointing the camera where I want. The object in question has habit of just dissappearing.

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
In addition, how do you tell where the light is pointing? To me it is just a sphere - a sphere could point anywhere.

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#3]
I agree that the controls are... unusual. :)

What is the setting on your light? If it's omni or ambient then there won't be a direction (it's all directions). Switch it to spot or directional (sun) and you'll see a directional arrow.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#4]
Having tried the V2 beta I have to agree. I got used to Giles V1 without too much trouble, but V2 is very tricky to control(at least for me).

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#5]
Its not you.

Giles is fantastic but the controls are a tad quirky.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#6]
they are gonna be user-definable.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#7]
It would probably make sense to ask for changes, if there is something you dislike or find confusing!

I'm guessing that the way you would like it, is to focus on the current selection, which you can do by right-clicking and selecting "View Mode -> Look At" or press "Shift + V"...

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#8]
I have never found them frustrating or a problem at all.

I would however like to be able to turn a lot of objects off (hide them) at once say - all children for example. At the moment switching the root off and exporting still exports those objects which are children whose 'eye' icon are on but greyed out.

IPete2.

Nexus6(Posted 2007) [#9]
@ Fredborg, I dont own Gile[s] but am considering purchasing, one question i wanted to ask, does Gile[s] have a .lib that can be included with a users program so that it can lightmap a scene at runtime, this would be a handy feature for game editors or for scenery created randomly from prefabs.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#10]
Hi,

No, there is no plugin/dll/lib version available right now.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#11]
i thought commands will be changed in Giles2 as it is promised some time ago, but if it is configurable then ok...me personally like a lot controls from Giles 1.31 .. and I actually dont understand why so ugly change in Giles 2...I simply cant see any benefits in it..

Filax(Posted 2007) [#12]
I agree that the controls are strange :) But i want
to congratulate fredborg to release this version for
free for the olders customers :)

Fredborg is a very good coder, and i'm sure that
Gile(s) 2 will be a great software :)

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#13]
I'll tell you what! If someone can actually explain what is strange about the controls it's more likely that it will be "fixed" ... "It's strange", doesn't help anybody.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#14]
Hi Fredborg

The stuff that i find strange, it's that i must press the
directional keys before turn the camera with the mouse.

Why not find a way "A la Zbrush" ?

- When i'm not clicking an object, the camera turn if i
press the left mouse button.

- And the camera pan if i press the middle button

- And the camera zoom if i press the right button.

Or put an option to keep the older method ?

I hope that my explanations are clear now ? :)

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#15]
Hi,

You have to press "ALT" to control the camera.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#16]
The're different from other graphics programs but not strange.

The biggest difference with this to most 3d programs is when you select an object the camera isnt locked to the centre of that object for rotation and pan. In a light mapping program i think it makes more sence to have a free camera like Fredborg is using.

The only thing ive noticed on testing is that the camera does some time jump to a weird angle when you press alt and first rotate the camera.

I did have trouble with one of my level models but i got it work well after i scaled it down a bit (problem with C4d export models always to large)

I keep pressing mouse button 2 when i want to zoom but thats just me.

if you can stop the camera jumping it would be spot on.

oh and if you have problems with object disapearing id say that you imported mesh is to big.

good work

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#17]
I just tried the gile[s] 2.0 alpha and I can't fathom how the camera controls are useable or intuitive. I can't use arrow keys and then reach across the keyboard to hit the Alt key.

Great GREAT tool Fred. But the camera controls are just leaving me totally baffled. Can we get some custom settings please? Maybe an ini file or something even.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#18]
Look!

Hold Alt key
Use Right Mouse Button to rotate view
Use Left Mouse Button to pan view
Use Both Mouse Buttons or Middle Mouse Button to zoom

How is that difficult?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#19]
Can I make it the Cntrl key?

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#20]
Not right now :)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#21]
I wanna be able to orbit the camera around a pivot (the pivot being the pivot of the selectede object, or else, point 0, 0, 0 of the world).

that would make me happy.