Lightmap sliding in 3dsMax

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Lightmap sliding in 3dsMax

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've had this problem before with 3dsMax and never quite found a decent solution. If I want to bake a shadow or lighting map, using render to texture, I always find the lightmap never *quite* lines up correctly on the final mesh. Like the UV coordinates are slightly off or something. It's only slight, but it leaves an annoying little gap of light where there should be shade. Even with something simple like a sunlight light and the light tracer enabled. It's not texture clamping, I've tried that, but I'm not sure what it might be or how to fix it.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#2]
hmm...seems fine for me...but, could i ask a question? could you tell me HOW you make these shadow maps in max, I can't seem to be able to work it. I can bake a texture, put it inside a bake material as diffuse map, get it to render with the shadows after removing the lights, but the b3d file format doesn't support baked materials.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'm not using the B3D format, but you don't want to bake the whole material and make it a diffuse map, then you can't have tiled textures. You want to make just a shadow map, put it on UV channel 1 ( I think Max indexes from 1 instead of zero, so this will will be Map Channel 2 ) and use either multiply or Mod2x blending.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#4]
erm...how do i do all of that lol. I'm a real noob :)