3DS Max Student License?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3DS Max Student License?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
A friend of mine is a student in the US and is considering purchasing a student license of 3dsMax, partly due to my recommendation, but she doesn't know if the software has any limitations, and neither do I. I tried looking it up on Studica, but they don't have any information other than what ID you need and prices.

Would anyone happen to know what limitations ( if any ) there are on the student license compared to the standard one I have? I don't want her to buy and then find out it has some technical restrictions.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#2]
no limitations except you cannot use it for commercial purposes

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#3]
What he said -

I learned with student license of Max 2.5 about 6 years ago cost me £200 or there abouts.

As soon as I could afford it I bought Max 4 and upgraded to 5.1.

IPete2.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
..I use lo learn on pirate copy of 3DSMAX (I didnt do anything commercial with it at all),and once I really mastered everything I need out of 3DSMAX I purchase commercial license..

AdrianT(Posted 2007) [#5]
wish there was a student version of max in the UK when I was a student. You can get a 1 year student licence for $170 here, and bundles with combustion, cleaner etc for about $300.

I used a student loan to pay 1000 pounds for my uni to buy me a personal educational version for my own use. I ended up getting a free copy of max when the company I worked for went under, and upgraded when needed.

Back then the only difference between the full commercial version was that it said educational in the title bar.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks everyone. Looks like she's gonna get it.

I wish I could have got the student edition too. I acquired Version 5 ( and later Version 7 ) more or less the same way you did, from a company which was ditching freelancers and the guy who liaised with the freelancers thought we ought to get something, particularly since the company didn't plan on giving us any notice.

V9, I had to pay for myself.