Can a 3ds model have 2 texture files?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Can a 3ds model have 2 texture files?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#1]
In Unwrap3d there is a toolbar that has 2 buttons, "1" and "2". It seems to suggest you can have two sets of UVs, does that mean I can have two different texture files too?

If so how the hell do I set it up?

I seem to be able to spilt my model so some of the UVs or on set 1 and some on set 2 and have set two different texture maps but can never see both UV sets and both texture maps working at the same time.

Any ideas?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#2]
AH WORKED IT OUT!

Now that is cool. So I GUESS 2 uv sets is the max?

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#3]
A program like 3DSMax will let you have lots of UV sets (although I can't really imagine using more than 1 or 2 for most things) and as many textures per-mesh as you can bothered to set up.

Don't know how many of each export formats such as 3DS or B3D support though, although I've used B3D meshes with 10 or so different materials (textures) on them in Blitz3D.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
3ds one, b3d 2.

To make this clear: a blitz mesh entity is organized based on surfaces, each surface is painted with a brush that may have up to 8 textures, each texture is using one of 2 texture UV coordinate sets. usually the diffuse texture is using set zero and an additional lightmap may use set one.

In your modelling app you only have to texture some parts with individual textures, once loaded in blitz the parts will be the surfaces.

The format 3ds does not support the 2nd UV coords set - as far as I know.