Decorator questions

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Decorator questions

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all,

I tried to do modelling in Wings3D and export to .3ds
Then, I try to decorate this .3ds model in decorator. However, when I press + or -, the face does not show the correct texture as modelling with maplet. (eg. red brick texture shows as plain red texture, grey brick texture shows as plain brick texture)
Changing the uv scale does not help.

Any ideas?

BTW, any fast way to apply textures to a model?

Thanks in advance

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#2]
Is your model UV mapped? Sounds not. Decorator does have a quick/dirty way to apply UVs, but I can't remember what its called or the hotkey. Worth a try tho.

TeraBit(Posted 2007) [#3]
Like Beaker says, probably a lack of UVs.

Within Decorator (ah people still use it :)

The key is CTRL-U, for Environmental Mapping. It basicly walks along the polygons like you were laying wallpaper.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
I still use it a lot. It's great. Although some little bugs should be fixed. EG:

When I load a mesh with no lightmap then it works ok the first time, then I save it using F9. Then I reload this file: an error occurs, telling me the lightmap couldn't be loaded.

This mean I have to add a lightmap no matter what. But I'd rather like to lightmap it later, and only one time.

It should be possbile to use an ordinary dx light instead. (when everything is fullbright then it may be hard to see the shape of thing).

There's a speed problem with meshes with 30k or more tris. It seems the speed is decreasing exponentially with the number of triangles, doing some kind of recursive checks (since the double triangle patch?)

Ok, I know. it's on old project. Noless, how about an update. Try shareware. It's a great tool. Maybe I missed it, but I don't know of any other tool that is capable of a similar workflow.

TeraBit(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ok, I know. it's on old project. Noless, how about an update

To be honest, I've been waiting for Max3D to do a much more swish version.

In fact, since 3D is where most of my interest is, I've not been doing much on the Blitz programming front at all since BlitzMax came out. :/

It's been a long wait. Still, nice to see in the last worklog that it has not died a death.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ok I see. To me it doesn't matter if it's BMAX or B3D. Tho, when Max3D comes out there's no more excuse for me for not to learn BlitzMax :o)

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thank you, all of you.
Yes, By pressing CTRL-U in decorator, we could add a default map to the imported model.

*(Posted 2007) [#8]
TeraBit: why not use Minib3d its quite fast and it can be adjusted how you want as its just BlitzMax source.