Da bestest modeller for humanoid models?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Da bestest modeller for humanoid models?

thelizardking(Posted 2007) [#1]
Which is the best FREE 3D modeller out there, to create animated humanoid meshes? thnx
(also if u could help here, as its for the same project: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68957)

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
'Da bestest modeller' hmmm

Well a lot of people swear by Wings, some by Blender, download them both and try them both. Find out which one suits you. Not sure either do animation off the top of my head.

Personally I use milkshape, but it's not free. That said, it's so cheap it's as good as free.

And even then you're probably going to have to spend a couple of quid on Ulitmate Unwrap for texture mapping. And then a few more pennies on a paint package to draw them with.

A general rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Free software generally isn't as good, fully featured or as well suppored as software you pay for, obviously this isn't always the case. And sometimes the free software is nearly as good as it's commerical counterpart so it makes buying commerical software a difficult justification.

That all said, software, like so many things is subjective. Download the free stuff, download demos of commerical, try them out and see what suits you.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#3]
For more than free I would use Fragmotion:
http://fragmosoft.com
It supports modelling, animation, painting.

thelizardking(Posted 2007) [#4]
ya ive heard shaweet things abt both fragmosoft and milkshape 3d...but milkshape doesnt work on my computer for some reason. so ill check out fragmosoft. anybody have a good tutorial out there for modelling? cause i totally suk at modelling.

thnx

ima747(Posted 2007) [#5]
blender does animations and texturing among many many other things. it's in the vein or 3ds as far as capability in my experience. the only problem is it doesn't currently export to b3d (but there are a few exporters in the works for that) so I export to 3ds or .X formats and load then save the file through decorator to turn it into b3d. it's all free and you can do just about anything. for lightmaping you can use slim shady (also free) though for some reason it's b3d output doesn't work for me with minib3d... so if something needs a lightmap, I export from blender to 3ds, load it up in slim shady and save the light map, then open and save through decorator to get it to play nice.

It's possible to do anything you need for free, it just takes more looking around for the right tool, and blender can be a beast to learn since it's designed for advanced work flow instead of being easy to learn.

Ultimate unwrap is pretty sweet from what I've played around with but I'd rather go all free personaly.

Wings seemed interesting but it can't do nearly as much as blender so I went that route.

thelizardking(Posted 2007) [#6]
which one is the easiest to learn, cause i dont gotta lot of time?

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#7]
Kid, that's like asking "which is easiest to learn for someone who is too lazy to learn anything?"

The answer is obviously "none of them."

ima747(Posted 2007) [#8]
Whichever one makes the most sense to you and that you can find the best tutorials or documentation for... all of which takes time. the "you get what you pay for" philosphy I think is better represented with "you get what you have time for" since there's some fantastic free software out there, but the better something is the more features it has, more features = more complicated. more complicated takes longer to understand. and a side effect of more complicated modelers is they also tend to have confusing interfaces because once you get to know them what was once confusing becomes incredibly fast to use (note, that's fast, not easy).

Unless you're willing to invest some time atleast on modeling, let alone texturing or animating, you best bet is to just track down some free models, or get a friend to handle the art for you...

That being said programming is harder than modeling in that there's more to learn and more to figure out new each project. So if you've got the time to learn a language you've probably got the time to learn how to do some basic modeling.