Final Export to .b3d

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Final Export to .b3d

Magian(Posted 2007) [#1]
Presently I am using Carrara Studio 5 and Hexagon 2 for modeling (though I would like to get into XSI in the near future if possible) and I am looking for solutions for getting textured, animated meshes into Blitz3D. Without having to download 4 different demos, I would like to get some feedback regarding the final export to .b3d.

There are four programs that I am aware of with the ability to export the final character mesh complete with texture and boned animation:

Lightray3D
Fragmosoft
Pacemaker
Blender

(NOTE: I am not counting Ultimate Unwrap3D because I am looking for packages where you can actually create the bones and animations within the package. Additionally, I am not interested in the insanely expensive options a.k.a. Max & Maya).

I would like to know if there are any major issues concerning these applications when it comes to exporting to .b3d. Also, even though this is very subjective, I would love to read opinions on which of these applications is the best alternative for exporting to Blitz3D.

Thanks,
Darren

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#2]
I cant speak for any others than Fragmosoft you can import pretty much any type of model into it and export it to B3D.

B3D doesn't support the physique modifier for bones, but to me its easier to use than skinning, so I export it from Max as an SMD (Half life format) import into Fragmotion and then export as a B3d and it works perfectly. You can also convert to MD2 which has been very helpful to me.

Its a fantastic program that is very cheap.

Magian(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks, I appreciate the response. Have you tried creating the bones and all animations within Fragmosoft and then exporting to .b3d? I neither have nor do I intend to purchase 3D Studio Max. Most likely I will only be able to export the geometry from Hexagon 2 so I will be forced to use something else that will allow me to animate and export to .b3d.

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#4]
I am using Lightray3D. Its a very balanced solution looking its futures and cost. Besides there is also good support. I had no problems exporting to B3D format. It has a very good biped system

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#5]
The .b3d format is PaceMaker's native format.
PaceMaker is written in Blitz3D and therefore you are, in effect, already seeing your model in Blitz3D within the application !
Additionally, PaceMaker will retain the sequence information from a previously exported .b3d when reloaded and can "rip" the animation or skeleton from another .b3d file and adapt it to the current.

Fragmotion is an excellent little tool. The .b3d export is solid and it has a lot more import/export formats besides. I find the interface a little clunky though.

Blender may be the most problematical as it does not export directly to .b3d - (last time I looked). There is a .x to .b3d converter though that can be used. I have it somewhere on my hard drive if you need it.

Magian(Posted 2007) [#6]
Moraldi,

I am going to download the demo of Lightray3D tonight and give it a shot. The biped system is a definite plus (though I must admit I would like to see quadruped, heck even a triped system 80)) and I look forward to testing it out.

Ricky,
That is really good information regarding PaceMaker - I am definitely intrigued.

With the information that I have gleened from both of your posts it would seem so far that the best two alternatives would be Lightray 3D or PaceMaker. Excellent, thank you both very much for your responses.

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ricky, can you mess around with animspeeds in pacemaker?
that would be a useful way to see how fast you want the animation to go

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yes you can, up to 10x normal speed.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#9]
Ultimate Unwrap can also convert to .b3d.

Pacemaker and Fragmotion are also good picks :o)

Bob3d(Posted 2007) [#10]
Actually there's a plugin already being done for export as b3d for blender...seen already lightmaped(yep, with blender) scenes and characters animated as b3d...

I think is not public yet...not sure...It worked greatly for me, in my tests , at least.

I use Blender in all my workflows now, with wings as modeler. I see them as a very powerfull pair of tools.

Is really capable. yet hard to learn.

With ultimate Unwrap, you can perfectly convert "max characters" to b3d, and from any other formats from all packages.

alain(Posted 2007) [#11]
Do you have any URL for this plugin?