Lightwave Texture Question

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Lightwave Texture Question

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#1]
In LW when you view a model in the editor its texture is all pixelly but when you render it gets smoothed out. This is usaully ideal but I need to retain the textures pixellyness in the actual render. Is it possible in LW?

Hopefully someone can help.

Jason.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#2]
Assuming it is not a procedural texture can't you just use a really low res texture?

Danny(Posted 2007) [#3]
I don't know of anyway you can get that effect in lightwave directly, but maybe you can get the same effect like this:

-Let's say you have a 512x512 texture,
-Downscale it to 64x64 in photoshop or something,
-Then scale it BACK to 512x512 (using neirest-neighbour),
-Map that back onto the object.

This way you've created a 'high res texture' with a 'low res appereance' (chunky pixels).

Hope this helps,

Danny.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#4]
Good idea but I still get a slight blurring. How annoying, surely there must be a way? My texture is very lowres, 64x64, and I need it to retain the exact details. Surely texture blending can be turned off.

Jason.

Danny(Posted 2007) [#5]
Search the forums, Tom has made several versionas of some DX7 dll; one of which alows you to alter internal filters and whatnot used on textures - dx7 settings that are otherwise not available through normal Blitz commands. I can imagine you might find something usefull in there...

Ah found it, check here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=40848
D

Danny(Posted 2007) [#6]
Oops, just noticed that dll ain't available through the forum anymore, but I just emailed you a copy I still had lying around..

danny

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks for that Danny, I`ll look into it if I cannot get LW to do it.

Jason.

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hey Quicksilva.

The reason it looks pixelated in the modeler preview is that your texture resolution is probably at the defaul 128x128.

Scale your texture down to that (or whatever you want) resolution and do the following in layout:

Load the object, go into surface editor, select that surface and bring up the texture editor. Below the "Width Tile" and "Height Tile" commands you'll find MIPMAP QUALITY. It defaults to High. Change it to OFF. This should remove that softening you're seeing with the renders.

Hope that helps.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#9]
Excellent, thats just what I was looking for. I knew that there had to be a way to do it. Thanks everyone for the help.

Oh, one last question. How do I change the background colour of a render? It`s been ages since I last played with LW so excuse my ignorance ;) It`s all a blur at the moment.

Jason.

scribbla(Posted 2007) [#10]
as per 8.5 its under the "window" tab top left- "background options" ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#11]
Doh! Thanks for pointing it out.

Jason.