Time Limit on XSI

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Time Limit on XSI

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#1]
I just need to clarify something:

If I buy XSI foundation, I don't have to pay a yearly fee or anything like that, it's mine for good, right?

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#2]
While I'm at it, I'll ask one more question:

When is the next version of XSI coming out?

Matty(Posted 2007) [#3]
No there is no yearly fee, and the current version which is 6 has only been available for a few months, so I would guess 7 is a long way off.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#4]
Okay, cool. Thanks for your answer.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#5]
v6 came out only 2 months ago, so now it's very good time to buy XSI.

pimpom(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hi, the yearly fee is for maintainance (updates for whatever versions are done during a year). Sadly I would advise against buying version 6, because I have found it very unstable (compared to previous versions, that is). If you can wait, I would advice to wait until a 6.X release, sometimes softimage makes available for free some patches. Good luck.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#7]
@Mustang
Now I just need to get the money to buy it :)

@pimpom
Wait, so I do have to pay for a yearly fee?

Does version 5 have the Gigipoly feature?

Gord(Posted 2007) [#8]
The xsi mod tool is a free verion of xsi foundation. You are restricted to 7500 triangles but its enough for game props and characters. It has direct x export plugin.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#9]
6 has some issues (even compatability ones with files written with 5.11), but so does 5.11 - especially if you're using Vista. If you have Vista, 6 is better... and usually later versions are better and I think 6 is too. Oh, and AeroGlass messes up my 5.11 selection rectangle (My Vista is clean install to a brand new machine so old driver etc garbage doesn't cause it). Newer driver might fix that but as it s, AeroGlass is off for now.

I'd take ppl's comments about apps being unstable with some reservation because THEY may have problems but it might be related to their particular PC/app configuration. XSI is meant to be fully working in any normal updated PC/XP/Vista.

pimpom(Posted 2007) [#10]

@pimpom
Wait, so I do have to pay for a yearly fee?

Not really, If you buy version 6, you have it for good, but not version 6.3 or something softimage doesn't release as free patch.

I'd take ppl's comments about apps being unstable with some reservation because THEY may have problems but it might be related to their particular PC/app configuration. XSI is meant to be fully working in any normal updated PC/XP/Vista.

Yup, Mustang is right. I have tried it on a few pcs (Xp pro @ work + xp media center @ home), and from my own experience and a few co-workers, xsi crashes.

You can try it before buying, http://softimage.com/downloads/default.aspx

Good luck.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#11]
So you obviously can't (legally) sell models with the mod tool?
Thanks for the info everyone.

Gord(Posted 2007) [#12]
Sorry , I tend to forget that it is not just a hobby for some peop;e, as it is with me.It may well be ilegal to sell the produce of mod tool.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#13]
It's okay. It's a hobbie for me right now but (hopefully) I'll be able to make some $ soon.

Garion(Posted 2007) [#14]
Not really, If you buy version 6, you have it for good, but not version 6.3 or something softimage doesn't release as free patch.

When I purchased version 4 of Foundation I recieved all the point updates free. I had to pay for version 5 but again got the point updates free.

I have not upgraded to version 6 as it does not offer enough new features to justify the cost to me and will wait until version 7 to see what that brings to the party and hopefully get it during the $100 discount period.

I am a tightfisted Scot after all :D

To be honest I have yet to scratch the surface of version 5, it's a very powerful application that sometimes has me pulling my hair out until I find out that I missed the easyway to do what I needed :D

Cheers

Garion

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#15]
To be honest I have yet to scratch the surface of version 5, it's a very powerful application that sometimes has me pulling my hair out until I find out that I missed the easyway to do what I needed :D

Ya, tell me about it. Even with Milkshape 3D I'm still finding new and faster ways to do things!

Gord(Posted 2007) [#16]
I would buy xsi if I could be sure it would run on xp home edition. Tried the trial but could not get activation to work. Meanwhile I am using ac3d. Made more fast progress with this prog than any other.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#17]
Sorry, I can't help you there.

Garion(Posted 2007) [#18]
Foundation works fine on my Laptop which has XP Home Edition installed.

What problems were yoo having with the activation?

Cheers

Garion