character models

Community Forums/Developer Stations/character models

Gord(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have never tried character modeling. Is it best to use lathe objrcts or what? I have cinema 4d and xsi mod tool.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#2]
Is it best to use lathe objrcts or what?

Do you want the long or the short answer? It doesn't matter, really, because I'm going to give you the short one.

Ready?

Ok, here it is: no.

The longer answer would probably including words such as "vertices", "cutting", "welding", and "polygons". Maybe even "triangles" and "quadrangles". It would probably also contain some sort of advice; most likely regarding using google to locate the many online resources that can can teach you what you want to know.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
Lathe objects for characters? Not unless the characters you're modelling are Matrioshka dolls.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#4]
Box modelling is probably the easiest way to start - get some reference pics of a human from the front and side in the classic T-pose, then start at the front and make a box and extrude bits and shape bits until you get a feel for what works.

Then move to the side view and get that shape right.

At that point you should have a good sense of what you've done well, and what you've done badly.

This tutorial is pretty good -
http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#5]
I've never got along with box modelling. I prefer to piece together a model polygon by polygon, extruding edges/vertices, splitting and welding as
I go, etc.

Gord(Posted 2007) [#6]
Do arms and legs ( or limbs)have to be modeled seperatly and the attached?

Matty(Posted 2007) [#7]
Not necessarily - arms and legs could be extruded and smoothed as you go, or you could go about attaching them afterwards, as long as the seams are not obvious. You could even create a character by lofting curves...

Gord(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yes I just tried lofting curves to make a leg shape, doing a sketch first.Works ok.

Tom(Posted 2007) [#9]
I don't recall using a lathe tool at all when making characters.

When using automated tools like lathes, lofts e.t.c you don't always have as much control over how much, and where, geometry is produced.

Even with the wealth of tools available in a modern modeling app, most modelers end up using very few tools in their workflow. They're usualy simple ones like vertex/edge/poly extrusion, poly slicing, beveling, welding.

Tools you have a lot of control over.