Modelling programs

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Modelling programs

seferey(Posted 2007) [#1]
blender is good but too hard for me to figure out well almost

free

wings3d is easy to build models except maybe human models uv is straight forward but sometimes I have a
problem with it

free

milk shape 3d is simple to use but lacks .3ds animation capabilities but awesome in every other way perfected
well sometimes it has system crashes or it exits on its
own cheap price

3dsmax 1 thru 9 is great but the activation for 6 7 8 acts up as the activation code isn't the right which is a glitch very very expensive

maya learning demo is awesome but doesn't let you save
your animations or models

although I'm trying to buy the latest maya

Poser is a awesome human animator and creates real humans but I'm trying to buy ver 5 or higher

I'm currently learning belnder wings3d poser and maya

for uv mapping I'm using Ultimate Unwrap 3d which is very easy to use but can be annoying in uv images sometimes
that and unwraping the 3d model

Drake Leon Iwould like to try your map it program and give it a a shot also I like making scenes in .b3d format and .3ds your program looks awesome

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#2]
Have you checked out the free blender videos?(on website) thats how i learned. The elysiun? forum is a good one too.

Getting stuff into blitz is fairly straightforward with the default X exporter coupled with giles or UU3d for .b3d, you just have to remember, righthanded, Y axis up. And to apply scale rotation to childs b4 export.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#3]
If blender is too hard for you, forget Maya/Max/XSI - they are 10 times harder to learn.

No idea what you mean about Max activation problems, if you have bought them you can activate them easily.

Poser is good for creating images, but as a character modeling app for games it's bad... characters have way too many polys etc. and it's not even legal to use the geometry in other apps.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#4]
I like AC3D - it's cheap, has a reasonable feature set without being too complex, and can export to X which Blitz can load maintaining smoothing groups etc...

Subirenihil(Posted 2007) [#5]
If blender is too hard for you, forget Maya/Max/XSI - they are 10 times harder to learn.

I have never been able to do anything useful with Blender. The mouse gestures are so similar that I keep doing something completely different from what I intend. I've seen what it can do, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm kind of a jump-right-in-then-read-the-manual-when-I-have-a-problem kind of guy. Blender is not very intuitive.

I use LightWave but it runs upwards of $800 so I don't suggest it for the casual modeler. My understanding is that Maya has a similar control to Lightwave, but I personally have never used Maya so I couldn't tell you for sure. Lightwave is easy to learn but takes awhile to master.

seferey(Posted 2007) [#6]
What I do like about max is the controls are easier to me blender

blender is easy in some ways in others it's very hard

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
3dsmax 1 thru 9 is great but the activation for 6 7 8 acts up as the activation code isn't the right which is a glitch
o.O

mws(Posted 2007) [#8]
First time poster here, Flame retardant underwear: check.

I'm new to Blitz3D and 3D modelling but here is a new/free character app

http://www.cbmodelpro.com

When exporting it doesn't prompt for a filename, so look in My Documents\My CB Models for the file

I think I'll stick to the Blender tutorials (new version and new web site this week).

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#9]
Silo ( http://www.nevercenter.com ) is an easy modeler (just that, without Renderer) and not very expensive. Modeling is fast and streamlined once you get around the interface. If you already own Unwrap3D this could be an useful tool.