Unlimited Drop (another droplet)

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Unlimited Drop (another droplet)

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#1]
I post here because I think it fits better to Content Creation Tools...
From here you can download my latest droplet program Unlimited Drop Ver 2.1. You can have your custom properties for each object you place and export them to a simple text file format.
I hope you like it and find it useful. Any criticism is welcomed.
I will complete the help file and fix any bug you report
Please note that all available graphics modes in startup are windowed modes.

Here some screenshots:

and

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
Interesting.

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
However, I still don't like the controls.

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#4]
puki: I promise you I'll setup a mouse input customization function especially for you! (I suppose you don't like mouse shortcuts, or something else?)

Gord(Posted 2007) [#5]
What is Droplet for?

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#6]
A droplet is a entity placement program to assist in world creation. Suppose you need to place all of your game diamonds in a level. With a droplet program you don't need to place them using data in your program, you only need some lines of code to load the diamond positions for every level you may build.
Unlimited Drop exports information about all objects you place in a text file. The file format is simple:

[filename$]; path filename position of the object
[1] or [0] ; 1=animated object, 0=static object
[x#] ; x coordinate of the object
[y#] ; y coordinate
[z#] ; z coordinate
[pitch#] ; pitch angle of the object
[yaw#] ; yaw angle
[roll#] ; roll angle
[xscale#] ; scale value on X-axis
[yscale#] ; scale value on Y-axis
[zscale#] ; scale value on Z-axis
[extra property 1#] ; you can use in any way you like
[extra property 8#]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
Looking good. A few tips: Make sure to systematicly wrap all properties an entity may use. At this point it may be a lot easier than to add things later.

For a mesh this may be all entity control commands (eg blendmode, alpha, pickmode, collision...) plus its brush and the properties of the brush, including up to eight textures, each one with individual texture settings.

As long as you wrap things systematicly, by parsing the docs, it should be easy.

Properties should be set to useful defaults.

2) (Not sure if you already did) If the Droplet or Dropper is for public use then add a loader sourcecode example that will entirely load a level. Writing a loader is very simple when you take the saver function and simply turn writing into reading line by line. Tho, guess you know that already.

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#8]
jfk EO-11110: Thanks for your tips, but I am wondering what is the meaning to give to a droplet program the ability to alter properties such as those in Entity Control commands?
I think with a droplet program a user can only place all of its entities (already completed meshes) in different positions, rotations and sizes. In any case I will take into account you suggestions

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#9]
Sorry, missed this. There are many good reasons for altering properties. Example: a grey container. Using EntityColor allows to use one mesh in various Colors.

There are much more game specific things, eg: pickability: You won't make a masked texture pickable unless you're after bullet decals that are floating in the air (assuming the shooting engine is using Linepick to determine the impact location). Or Collision. If you have a mesh that should act as some light beams then you don't want collision, so the player may walk trough the light. And you may also play with the blendmode.

There are many, many reasons to systematicly, completely wrap game entities. And this will also simplify the GUI creation, cause you won't have to add things again and again.

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#10]
A small update of Unlimited Drop released plus a Tutorial demonstrating the building of a simple level. Take a look here

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#11]
There is a small update to the program (Ver 2.2.1) dealing with camera navigation.
I believe, for all those who use this tool, the navigation has been improved dramatically.
The camera rotation around the Y-axis is much more convenient in order to have a better view and place objects...

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#12]
Jassou Moraldi, I wanted to give it a try, but the window is much too small, any chance of having an option to select the window size or fullscreen?

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#13]
Jassou Barbapapa!
No there is no an option to run in full screen (for the moment...) But you can select any of the available resolutions (all windowed) at the start of the program using the cursor keys. I think that one them muches to your needs...

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#14]
Ah yes, poly orea, any way to save the config, scrolling 1680x1050x32 every time is tedious...

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#15]
Yap! you have right. I will fixed that soon...
BTW: Your greeks are poly orea!

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#16]
A very long time ago I lived in Greece ;) So wonderful ... Oh well, kali nishta ;)

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#17]
Another small update Ver 2.2.2
1. Last graphics mode selection available

Efxaristo Barbapapa...

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#18]
cool thank you very much. sas efkaristo episis ( now I am not ure anymore, but it should mean ' I thank you too' ;) )

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#19]
I noticed that many people already downloaded UDrop. There is another small update for anyone who interested here

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#20]
I released version 2.3 for Unlimited Drop
New functionality added:
1. Multiple selections on objects
2. Copy & Paste operations between Unlimited Drop files
3. New buttons on existing shortcuts

Hope to find them useful

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#21]
Hi again,
There is an update for Unlimited Drop. I found some nice icons on the web and I decided to change the user interface but there is also new functionality:

1. Better user interface (I hope so...)
2. Aligning objects to X, Y or Z axes
3. Better Camera navigation with keyboard and mouse input customization

For all those who may have created levels with previous versions please make a backup because the new version it has not been tested comprehensively.
Note: Undo and Redo buttons are not working yet
Enjoy