gile[s] Question

Community Forums/Developer Stations/gile[s] Question

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#1]
In gile[s] is it possible to import an object, say a character that already has a uv map and bake the lightmap into that? If not, is there another way to go about this, maybe by layering two maps ontop of each other?

Secondly I need a really lowres light map of 64x64. This doesn`t seem possible in the program. Is it?

Thanks for any help,

Jason.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#2]
If I understand you, I think the answer is no.

When importing an object, Giles creates a list of materials used, but any lightmap Giles generates uses another UV map per material - it does not take existing UV into account when packing a lightmap.

However the author has hinted that a new version is coming soon and it may have the ability you're wanting.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#3]
Very soon both things will be possible!

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
It should be possible to bake a vertex lit lightmap tho. I may be wrong. Should be faster as well.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#5]
It would be nice to be able to use the primary texcoord array for the lightmap, so that you can merge a lightmap and model texture into a single texture, like many of the staticmeshes in UT2004 do. Designing a user interface for this might be a little tricky, so if it could just save out the lightmap that used the original model texcoords, I wouldn't mind merging the lightmap and texture in photoshop.

It would also be nice to have a new lighting mode specially designed for creating shadow details on meshes. The rules would work like this: If a light illuminates a lightmap texel, that texel is full-bright, and is not modulated by the light angle and face normal. If no light affects a lightmap texel, due to the orientation of the face normal, that texel is full-bright. If a light affects a texel, but is occluded from hitting it, a uniform shadow color is drawn.

This way you could create a single directional light, get some baked-in shadow detail, and use vertex lighting for the "real" light effects. When you do these baked-in shadow details, you only want the shadow detail, you don't want any strong sense of where the light is coming from.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#6]
I made a simple texture baker some time ago, so you can try and see if that works out for you. You can get it here: http://www.frecle.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thank you, this will be very useful.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#8]
Here is what I am describing. I guess other people have thought of the same idea and called it "ambient occlusion".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
this texture baker is nice but its still working for whole level, rather than separate parts of it, what will be very nice to have control within Giles...so we can choose to bake lightmap with specific surfaces and textures, rather than bake everything as a one big texture what will not give same results regarding texture quality..anyway, do you planing to add such a feature in Giles, Fredborg?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#10]
Thanks for the replies. fredborg, how soon is soon just out of interest? Are we talking in the next update and if so do you have a rough ETA on when it will be released? Sorry to pester you but this is kind of urgent and it would be a great help to be able to do this in gile[s] instead of having to look for another way of doing it.

Jason.