Poor mans Photoshop: Gimpshop !!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Poor mans Photoshop: Gimpshop !!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
Not tried yet, but sounds great:
http://www.osalt.com/gimpshop

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Just gave it a try, its pretty unstable. :/

[edit]Actually it might have been a memory problem as I had a few apps running and I don't have much RAM to start with.

Its running quite nicely on its own. I can use this to do quick graphics jobs on my laptop without having to run up two flights of stairs to my dev PC.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
its really stable (the gimp (on its own) is on win & linux), i havent tried the gimpshop mod though, mabe its that thats unstable...

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#4]
I found GimpShop very unstable as well. As I don't use Photoshop there wasn't really much point me having it but still very happy with Gimp 2

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ok, sorry for my bad advice. Good to know, thanks. One thing that I didn't like in Gimp is you cannot minimize and restore all windows with one click. I'd rather like the little tools windows to be parented to one main taskbar tab.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'd rather like the little tools windows to be parented to one main taskbar tab.

Apparently something 'close' will be included in next release (Gimp 2.4) where you can set a preference to minimize all windows if the image window is minimized.
TBH I did any pixel images in GraphicsGale and dip into The Gimp for any special effects. If the Gimp way of doing it is too funky I go to PSP7.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#7]
"One thing that I didn't like in Gimp is you cannot minimize and restore all windows with one click"

WindowsKey-D (in windows, and linux if u set up) is the way i minimise stuff as it minimises everything to the bar, then just click on the app you want to bring up again. I think i use that more than i use the '_' icon :)

"like the little tools windows to be parented to one main taskbar tab"

You can get the tools to be always on top which helps a lot, by right clicking the bar and choosing 'on top' but im not sure if this works in windows too.
Also you can scale them to just a double line at the edge of the screen rather than a fat square. (you may want to 'undock' the tools window too) I find by doing this it kind of resembles paintshops layout. It retains this style if you close it too.

I like it like this: (kinda like paintshop meets 3dmax :) This is using normal gimp 2 NOT the 'shop' mod

Ok, sorry for my bad advice

I thought it was good advice, (just mabe not the 'shop' part :) its a very capable prog when you get to know it. The normal unmoded app can be got from gimp.org

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#8]
I turned to using GimpShop when I found it, rather than the original Gimp, just because the interface is not particularly friendly and I still don't like some of GimpShop's interface layout - partly due to the X dependency thing, but it does have some nice features.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#9]
Just tried this again.

It crashes here every time I close the Preferences window.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#10]
Just tried gimpshop mod, it is quite unstable on win (didnt try the linux one).

i'd stick to gimp2 standard, aranged like the above, its quite useable and has everything that gimpshop does just in different places(you have to uninstall both gimpshop and gimp, then reinstll gimp)

ragtag(Posted 2007) [#11]
If you make your tools window wider, you can have all your layers, channels etc. at the bottom of that. Then you'll only wind up with one window for all your tools and one (or more) for your image. This is the way I like to work with GIMP.

GIMP works best on Linux though. I've used it under WindowsXP, OS X, Ubuntu and Fedora Core 6, and the Linux versions feels faster and more responsive. On linux you could also use multiple desktops, having one for GIMP, and just jumping between desktops....rather than windows.

If you're on a Mac you might want to try out Seashore http://seashore.sourceforge.net/ it's a somewhat simplified version of GIMP.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2007) [#12]
I never had much Joy with the Gimp. I like to use paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) for my freeware image editing stuff. The only downside is you need to have .ET installed, but then most people have that nowadays.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#13]
Inkscape all the way for original graphic artwork. iPhoto for simple photo editing.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#14]

Linux versions feels faster and more responsive

Seems to load up a lot faster too

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#15]
windows version is very unstable :-(