BRLCAD - anybody tried this'

Community Forums/Developer Stations/BRLCAD - anybody tried this'

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
An open source CSG modeller from the US military - did anybody try this?

http://brlcad.org/

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#2]
the US military?

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks for the pointer, jfk. Interesting history:
This "new" platform is added to an extensive BRL-CAD portability heritage that includes systems such as a DEC VAX-11 running 4.3 BSD, DECStations running ULTRIX, SGI 4Ds running various versions of IRIX, Sun-3 and Sun-4 Sparcs running SunOS, the Cray 1, Cray X-MP, and Cray Y-MP running UNICOS, the Cray 2, DEC Alpha AXP running OSF/1, Apple Mac II running A/UX, iPSC/860 Hypercube running NX/2, Alliant FX/8 & FX/2800, Gould SEL, PowerNode, Gould NP1, NeXT, HPPA 9000/700 running HPUX, Ardent/Stardent, Encore Multi-Max, and much much more.

I just downloaded it and it seems to work OK in XP. The main MGED program is a CLI console. I'm not wild about the Archer help trying to access the trusted zone without asking (thanks, ZoneAlarm). I went back to MGED and opened a sample - when I told it to raytrace, it wanted to act as a server (possibly to pass info to the separate view window)? I think I might give this one a pass for now, but it was kinda fun to look at (as in, "oh yeah, I remember when 3D apps were like this back in the 1980s" <g>).

The Wikipedia entry shows that it got started in 1979.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks for the infos. Although, the windows port was released not so long ago. Basicly I think it's an interesting source for CSG routines. Maybe. :) At least it's for free.

The raytrace server alert think may be caused by the "render-farm-ability", probably you can turn this off somewhere.

Other than that - yes, in case your name is bin laden, you may be sceptic :o)

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#5]
Cool, thanks for posting!... Ill report back on how it runs on linux :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
early reports:

looks interesting but HORRENDOUS (as in horrendously complicated)!!! :O

Found a nice castle to play with though...

Continuing to play out of intregue...