DIY 3D LaserScanner

Community Forums/Developer Stations/DIY 3D LaserScanner

CopperCircle(Posted 2007) [#1]
Dont know if this has been posted before, but check it out. It works and is cheap to setup:

http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/rob/david.html

Danny(Posted 2007) [#2]
good find, very cool! :)

I've used systems (slightly more proffesional than that) based on the same principal. But in the end it was always quicker to model it by hand to get an accurate result (without billions of vertices). Also, with bigger objects, the camera's natural lens-distortion warps the results..
But it's defenitly usefull to get a 3d reference model you can then use to 're-skin' it yourself.

Still good stuff to play around with ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
Great! I only hate to be forced to install net1.1. Anyway, this tool sounds great. As some may know I also built a simple scanner some time ago ( http://www.melog.ch/3dscan/ ) tho my scanner worked in a more complicated way, it needed a rotating platform to scan the object from all sides.

This thing seems to use a much smarter algorithm, altough it will model only the front side of things.

However, the setup seems so easy, gotta try it.

From my experiments I know you even don't need a laser, you may do the same with a simple flashlight that has a mask attached to make it project a small, bright line! (distance between mask and light source should be high to keep the cone angle small) This way it's also possible to scan your face with open eyes! (something you better don't do with a laser)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
A further Idea I had some time ago:

After scanning eg. your head, write a simple blitz program that will do a renderworld with a very low camerarange, I mean a low distance from near to far.This way you may slice the entire model, preferably from top to bottom, and using a white cslcolor (also add 2 marker meshes in the inside of the model). These Hull Slices may be saved as bmps and then printed. glue them on a number of cardboard pieces, then cut them out using a pair of scissors. Now simply stack them, probably add a layer of plaster and there it is, your personal, very natural statue!

Panno(Posted 2007) [#5]
jfk is a cool genius
because the david projekt is produced from
some informatic's and one professor .

my 2 cent

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
sure <:ob
Well ehrm, send nobel prizes to my secretary... ;)

BTW it may be a lot easier to make a form of your head using some sort of moudling procudure, eg. special fast-drying silicon or latex paste, Just add some holes for your nose...

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#7]
There is no download for your code, jfk, it says the hardrive crashed! Anyone have the source for his version?

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#8]
I like this idea, this has fascinated me, but to program it is past my knowledge...I am very curious about a scanner that can take a 360 degree shot of the model, which david can't do. Anyone have any idea how to do so?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#9]
WOW, a laser scsnner has been on my drool over list for ages, but at $10000+ it can stay there.

until.. it seems.. now!

does it create a kind of heightmap? I guess so. This would be great for scanning placticine models of characters, faces and terrains.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#10]
Mindstorms: The problem with scanned models is, they are very high poly, not very useful for realtime rendering, other than a simple "this is me" joke.

The programming is very simple, really. Imagine you have a cylinder mesh with 360*240 segments. A laser line that is projected onto the object will display a height curve (or rather depth curve) when watched from the side (about 45 degrees). A webcam takes a snapshot and detects the red laser line depthcurve. 240 Depths are then used for the vertex position relative to the axis of the cyliner. you do this 360 times, for every circular segment of the cylinder, by rotating the object by 1 degree every time.

The vertex is simply positioned this way: x=sin(dis), y=0,z=cos(dis)
where dis is actually the previously obtained depth for every vertical segment.

Uh, sounds complicated, but it's really simple, belive me :)

Concave shapes are not possible, BTW.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#11]
I bought a laserlevel and tried it. I think i need a new camera too as i only have a cheapo 9.99 one and you cannot turn off the autobrightness controls :(

It works but it looks all spiky where the cam has adjusted itself all the time.