Sharing Animations between Actors in 3dsMax

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Sharing Animations between Actors in 3dsMax

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have two actors, both of which have unique animations. What I'd like to do is let both actors have the same animations. They're Bipeds rigged with Physique, so they should have the same/very similar structure, so I'm thinking it should be possible with one of the Mocap formats, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want to mix any of the animations or blend them or anything like that. I just want to save out 3000 frames of one and add it to the 3000 frames of the other, so that each model has both sets of animations. Ideally, it would be nice to have the combined animations as a separate single file which can then be loaded into each model, replacing the existing animations ( so that both models end up with the same animations in the same order - if I just append to both, they will have the sets of animations in the opposite order to each other. )

I hope that makes sense.

puki(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cut the waffling and just hand them over.

They better be good.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#3]
If you're using biped with both models it should be just a case of exporting the animation from one model as a .bip and then importing it back into the other. You can choose a starting frame on import so you can add the imported frames to the current animation. Can all be done from the motion panel IIRC.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#4]
I can't find any way to choose a starting frame on import. Whether I use the load BIP button on the Biped Rollout or on the Motion Capture rollout, they both replace all the animation I have in there. I guess I could link them together without transitions in the Motion Flow graph, but that thing is so overly complicated and fussy. Seems like there should be an easier way, but I can't see one.