Using CharacterFX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Using CharacterFX

SkyCube(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all,

I realize this is a Blitz3D specific forum, but I was wondering if anyone here has used CharacterFX to build characters for Blitz3D. I downloaded the demo and I am trying to create a test animated character. Only I can't bind the skin to the mesh! I ask here because I can't find any CharacterFX-specific forums. Please help! I have tried various alternatives, but so far, only CFX has a possibilty of suiting my needs.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#2]
As you stated this is a blitz3d forum.
Okay, CharacterFX is a pretty crap program. To bind skin to joints select the Edit Vertex Assignment tool and then right-click on it. A new small window will popup. This window has multiple tabs one of which has an apply button. Now select the vertex (marked by squares) and select a joint hit apply and the boxes turn red indicating the are attached to a joint. Repeat as neccesary.
When you are done doing this, use the drop-down box that says "Objects" and select "Animation". The Keyframer window will appear and you can start selecting frames and poses. If you need any help on the keyframer, the help has a section on it, i think.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
CFX isn't so bad. Ok Pacemaker may be better. The tricky part in CFX is to make a good vertices assignement. Takes some time.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#4]
I agree. Though I have seen some of the features in other animation programs and they are a lot better than CFX. It has a wierd interface, CFX does.

Alberto(Posted 2006) [#5]
I agree that it is hard to bind skin to the joints but as far as animation is concerned CFX is still the best of the cheap animator packages
I use Milkshape for rigging and CHX for animations