retro sound effects

Community Forums/Developer Stations/retro sound effects

deps(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

I want some sound effects with a retro feel in my current project. Is there a free/opensource/etc program somewhere that I can use to create c64/atari/nes/etc sound effects?

Merry christmas!

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#2]
Try Audacity

deps(Posted 2006) [#3]
I know of audacity and sometimes use it to edit sound effects. But can it create new ones that sounds like a C64 or similar computer? Is there a plugin somewhere I should know about?

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#4]
No, no plugin that I know of. Just start with the tone or noise effect and use the waveform tool to edit it.
Alternatively, have you tryed the beepDLL? It's in the toolbox somewhere.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#5]
You may have some luck with a program called "Quack Sound Effects Studio". It's shareware, and Google turns up many a link to it on shareware sites. I'm yet to find a home page for it, but to be honest, I'm not really looking very hard. :o)

Anyway, it's like a modular synth system sorta thing specifically tailored to produce the sort of bleeps and bloops retro games crave. There are downloadable version about - it would pay you to check it out.

gman(Posted 2007) [#6]
sorry to dig up an older post. did you find anything deps? im in need of retro sounds as well. looks like the quack effects studio is no longer available too.

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#7]
http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/simsynth.shtml

gman(Posted 2007) [#8]
@Chunkations - thank you :) i tried simsynth and did some more poking around. in the end i went with a $10 product called Sound Effects Generator.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#9]
Nice find gman. I think I'll buy a copy myself. :)

gman(Posted 2007) [#10]
great price and the interface felt more natural and easy to use. simsynth crashed on me several times as well (probably due to my noobness) but this baby kept on chuggin.