Topology Brush

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Topology Brush

Alberto(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello

I wonder wether it is possible to use Topology Brush by Silo for recreating the topology of an high polys model to get a low poly version, suitable for game application
If so, do you need an high artistic skill ?

Thanks in advance

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#2]
It is possible. Not sure how much artistic skill you need tho. It will definitely help, as will some technical skill.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Like Beaker says, it's possible, but it's not just clicky-clicky, there we go. You might end up with a model which looks good, but be worthless to work with simply because you have no proper edgeloops and nothing deforms properly. Look at wireframes of great low poly models and you'll see that the structure of the mesh always has certain characteristics. The way the polys flow, the edgeloops, splitting faces at the joints. I don't know if you'd call that artistic or technical skill, but it's a skill and you would still need it.

Alberto(Posted 2006) [#4]
Beaker , Gabriel thanks

As far as I understood the method is :

- The high poly model works as a solid object
- you can trace with your "pen" the new mesh
on the object
- Thanks to the topology Brush the "pen" remain alwayes glued to the model
- As Gabriel said the structure of the mesh of good low
low poly model have alwayes the same characteristics so I suppose it is a technical rather than artistic skill

that's in theory, did anyone try to do something like that ?

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#5]
I never understood what topology brush is and how it works in Silo 1.4 and 2.0
Can someone give a mini step by step guide please or just some screenshots of the workflow?

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#6]
http://www.nevercenter.com/videos/index.php?vidclip=topology_and_snapping.mov&artist=Walter%20Behrnes

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2228

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#7]
Oops! Thats great. I didn't know the existence of this Video in the official site...
Thanks Mustang