Xsi + vertex alpha, how?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Xsi + vertex alpha, how?

Pax(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello, I've painted my alpha map (using xsi's color vertex property) and in material applied to transparency using a phong material, plugged via a vertex rgba node.

After exporting, only vertex colors are recognized, any tip on how to correctly export vertex alpha values? I've tried on .obj format, .x format and .xsi format, reading with ultimate unwrap and with giles (.obj and .x).

Tia.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi,

Can you give this a try:
http://www.frecle.net/giles/download/ImportX.zip
Unzip it to /gile[s]/plugins/importers and overwrite the existing plugin.

It should allow you to import vertex colors and alpha from ascii x files. You need to set the materials to use vertex color and alpha, as it does not autodetect it when importing. If you have the option in xsi to save as either binary or ascii, select ascii.

The obj fileformat does not support vertex colors at all.

Let me know if it works!

Pax(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hi, thanks for the fast response. I tried it, but no luck, .x export in xsi seems to not export vertex maps. I'll try with deep exploration, which seems can import .xsi and from there export to .x and import afterwards to gile[s].

Btw, any chance of getting a native .xsi importer into gile[s]?

Thank you again.

***** edited + solution

After some experimentation, Deep exploration does not seems to import correctly vertex alpha information.

My model was correctly imported by ultimate unwrap 2.29, with the new .xsi plugin

Thanks for reading, enjoy.