Is anybody using this software ?
Comments ?
Some years ago there was an other similar application
CreatureLab
I would have bet on a bright future but , apparently,it failed
Honestly it lacked a lot of key features U.V mapping , nude characters only etc

MakeHuman 0.9 seems to be complete
In the future also animation will be added

An ideal solution for poor artists who can not afford to spend a lot of money to purchase from TurboSquid or ecustom made models
I suppose just a few people have skill and time to create a realistic 3d human model

What do you think ?

simonh(Posted 2006) [#2]
Just tried it and...wow! It's really impressive, seems perfect for game use. I can see me using this a lot.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks good, but, seems a bit too high poly... I'd guess about 4K polys in those models

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Exported a model, and triangulated it. around 10,000 polygons. A wee bit too high for in game use. Might be useful, however, for rendering 2d screens. Nice tool though.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
Is there no polygon reduction or some polycount option? What do you think, are there external polygon reduction tools that are capable of creating useful meshes? I mean with textures intact etc?

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
What?

What does this thing do?

Is this just like a thing whereby you can just export a character - no modelling involved?

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yeah. It gives you a character base and you basically pull slides and adjust every bit of the body. Very good stuff really, and well worked. It's just really too high poly for in game use i say :o)

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#8]
Silo3Ds topology brush could be used to reduce the polycount.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#9]

are there external polygon reduction tools that are capable of creating useful meshes? I mean with textures intact etc?

No. They all suck, even the XSI tool which is really good (keeps UVs etc). Characters are especially difficult to poly-reduce "automatically" because how the loops go is so important for animation. One edge wrong and the whole model becomes crap (for animation).

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#10]
...or you may be able to import these into Poser?

May download this to try later.

IPete2.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#11]
UPDATE... they do load into Poser!

A little too few polygons for Poser work, but by importing into Max (or other 3d modeller) you can adjust the mesh smooth and poly count either up or down.

Looks fantastic in Max btw too.

What an excellent find - thank you so much for pointing this out - I have been looking for something like this for years.

:)

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]

...suitable for use in a variety of applications and for a variety of purposes – marketing campaigns, advertisements, animations, graphic art, and 3D games, just to name a few.

Not sure if they know a lot about games. If they are really 10k Tris, that's a little too much IMHO. Then again, if it's around 4k, this will work fine in a few years, so you could start today and finish a game in one or two years. Simply add a "buy a new gfx card" sticker to the box, as most latest-gen engines do.

Aoneweb(Posted 2006) [#13]
Creature Lab and Creature Creator are still being developed and sold.
A bit pricey.

Alberto(Posted 2006) [#14]
Yes but no updatings as far as I know
So I suppose They were not succesful