Will Model with complex texture be drawn slow?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Will Model with complex texture be drawn slow?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all,

Given a model, will the model with higher resolution texture be drawn much slower than the same model with low resolution texture? Will this have great impact on FPS (frame per second)?

Thnaks in advance.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
..bigger texture-bigger memory requirements-more processing time..

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#3]
Test it. But generally speaking I don't believe it will affect the FPS that much, depending of course much bigger they are etc.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thank you.

*(Posted 2006) [#5]
bigger textures means you use more video ram, when that runs out windows will poll to the swap file which will make your game crawl.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#6]
No no no Ed... VRAM and RAM are totally different things. Swapping textures via PCIE / AGP between VRAM and RAM is normal and quite fast. No need to worry and try to fit everything in VRAM at once. Good of course, but not necessary.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
Maybe you have a sub standard graphics card and it's taking longer to draw that texture. I assume there would be a small hit from drawing high res textures.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#8]
"...and quite fast..."

I think those pauses at game start are pretty disturbing, that's why I cache the entire scene before the game starts.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#9]
note that some chipsets have "restrictions" on texture size. my mobile system with intel 915gms can handle huge textures (like 4096*4096) - but speed will dramatically reduce if i use textures bigger than 1024*1024. so i'll stick to max 1024x1024 (which is good enough) - and have nearly no speed impact. this behavior depends on chipset and memory ofcourse.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#10]

that's why I cache the entire scene before the game starts.

Yup, pretty standard thing to do... we call it "warming up the card". Can be simple as rotating the camera 360 inside the main scene without really drawing anything on the screen.

*(Posted 2006) [#11]
Also this is also a problem on a card running at minimum slot spec ie a GeForce or ATI that likes 8x AGP but will run in a 4x slot, it may run but hell it does half make an impact on performance.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#12]
Thanks all.

From above, it seems that PCIE graphics card is ok for large texture, but not suitable for AGP or PCI card.

:)