MAX and B3D animations?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/MAX and B3D animations?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have a torus that I deform in MAX using bend, push etc. The anim plays fine. Then during the export using the b3d pipeline I preview the animation but it's not animated. Neither is it when it's saved as b3d.

Why is this?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
maybe becouse its not skin, biped or bones animation?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
Its using the parametric deformers.

This is hopeless - it means my project is dead!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
did you try vertex keyframing animation and export it as .3ds file?? It should work..

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]

vertex keyframing

How d'ya do that?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
Vertex animation works like this: Each frame of animation is basically a copy of the mesh..in Max you should use the Snapshot tool to make these super-imposed versions of our animated model.. The product of this is what gets exported from Max as the .3ds file. The Snapshot tool asks what frames you want super-imposed (0-15 for example), the number of copies (in our example it would be 16 since 0-15 is 16 copies), and will do all the hard work for you. The beginning and ending of each animation needs to have the same exact postioning. For instance, a firing animation sequence starts, recoils back, and comes back to rest in the exact same postion (it's "rest" postion) it started in. I hope this helps, becouse this should work perfect like robots DevilsChild using for his shadow system testing..

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
Erm. Hmm. How do I actually do that then?

How come I cannot just modify my mesh and save it?

Please explain.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
Of course you can modify your mesh and export as a vertex animation..decide how many frames of animation you want..simply modify your mesh on any way you want with any modifier you want..and then for each frame of your animation use SNAPSHOT tool in order to create specific 'copy' of your original mesh in specific frame of your animation..simple as that..just export as 3ds and holaa..its workinggg..:)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#9]
Um. My MAX book says to use the snapshot works only with objects that have an animation path defined.

I tried it selecting all frames and 'copy' - doesn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#10]
Naughty?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#11]
There is another option. You can export morphing animations using the b3d pipeline:
http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/Exporting_Morphs.htm
http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/

It isn't particularly efficient to do this because you end up with one bone per vertex. You would be better re-designing your animation, adding bones to get what you want.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#12]
1. The snapshot technique doesn't work.

2. One bone per vertex just isn't going to work for me.

I cannot believe you cannot 'animate' using the deform parameters and use it in Blitz!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
hi Boiled sweets...sorry for long delay...Snapshot working, trust me..you have to BLEND those mesh/frames...anyway, you can also use exporter for MD2 from MAX, and at same time use any modifier you want..just dont forget to convert your mesh int EDITABLE MESH after you finish with your animation sequence..then just export with this exporter and enjoy..

http://www.geocities.com/darinp52/qtip/

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
Sorry to be so dumb but how do you BLEND? My MAX 8 Bible does not mention how to do this.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
..Boiled buddy, there is no BLEND command within max..I just mention that BLEND is the action you have to take by coping all vertex info from each copy generated by Snapshot in to new keyframe of same animation...anyway, this MD2 exporter doing exactly what you searching for..its vertex-morph animation and there is no bones at all, and its very easy and fast for B3D..and as you know B3D nicely supporting MD2..

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]
1. So is there a simple step by step process to doing the blend. I really would appreciate it.

2. The MD2 pipeline is not free and certainly don't want to buy it until I'm certain that it will work.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
1. Boiled...I'll email you script for max whats doing things regarding blending, when I get back home..

2. Qtip working, I have it and its great..even clothes modifier applied over model working brilliant...everything you have to do is to just blend keyframes in to editable mesh and export..its just great..

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#18]
1. Cool

2. Could you send me an example?

The thing is I don't want to have to do anything long winded and manually.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#19]
Naughty,

I still cannot get this to work. What am I suppossed to do with the files you kindly sent?

Also could you please send me that sample parameteric defomation you did with qtip...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#20]
I got one email from you Naughty. What am I supposed to do with the files? How do I install them?

How do I use them?

I STILL cannot export parametric deformations :-(

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#21]
*BUMP*