Characters

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Characters

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#1]
I need to create a 3d low poly character like quake (1 or 2). What's the best freeware program?

markcw(Posted 2006) [#2]
if free i would say anim8or, wings3d or blender.
if low-cost then milkshape3d, silo or truespace.

look in the Toolbox here.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think Milkshape is the best choice. It was designed with Character Works in mind. It imports and exports a lot of game formats. It is cheap, not totally for free, but hey. And there's a lot of good tutorials around, on how to make characters.
If it really has to be freeware then I agree, wings3d or animat8or for modelling. Blender may be too complex to start with IMHO.

For the texture parts you may use the cheap UltimateUnwrap3D or the freeware Lithunwrap (make sure to use the latest release: v1.3). Basicly UU3D is the sequel of Lithunwrap, and it has a lot more features, so UU3D is well worth the money. (eg it does import and export animated B3D).
Painting could be done using the free "The Gimp" for Win32, just for in case you haven't got Photoshop.

Skinning and Unwrapping etc. also requires to go trough some tutorials, since it's a special job. It shouldn't be hard to find good tutorials.

Finally, animation. I'd suggest to use "Pacemaker", cheap and noless pro features, plus still supported, with an increasing userbase.
The only freeware animator for Blitz3D that I know of is AnimB3D, see Toolbox section.

You may find most of these tools using google or yahoo.

markcw(Posted 2006) [#4]
i actually don't know how to use any of those (the tools i mentioned) except for anim8or and milkshape3d.

i can just about make stuff in wings3d but don't know how to save out yet (maybe i need to save as a wings file first?) on top of that i don't like the user controls.

then blender is worse. even though i can save the default cube, the wierd user controls really piss me off, so i can't be bothered to learn it just because of that.

i'm much happier in anim8or, which is the first tool i learnt. but milkshape3d is better than anim8or if you want to animate characters.

i guess this isn't any help, just thought i'd sound out a bit.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
You're right. Blender has a very steep learing curve, especially due to the uncommon GUI. If you once have mastered it, Blender may be the most powerful 3D tool you can get for free.

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#6]
For normal modelling, try AC3D, it's really a very good tool, much like 3dsMAX (not as complex obviously) with a similar interface and sensible controls.

I use Max every day at work and I still really like using AC3D for Blitz stuff.

http://www.ac3d.org/