Community Forums/Developer Stations/Silo 2.0 beta

Smokey(Posted 2006) [#1]
the beta is out for registered users

so 2.0 is coming soon.

http://www.nevercenter.com/

simonh(Posted 2006) [#2]
Has anyone got any impressions of this?

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yes, I am registered user and it looks amazing! (Paint Displacement, Live Texture Unwrapping, fully customizable UI and many more...). I am not a proffesional 3D model designer but I think this program is best velue for money
Because of beta stage there are some bugs.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#4]
I must admit, even as a registered owner of 3dsMax 7, this looks very appealing for just $110. The Displacement painting alone looks like it would be worth that.

North(Posted 2006) [#5]
Silo 1 was maybe the fastest and most intuitive modeler out there.
Now version 2 adds UV unwrapping, displacement-painting and several workflow enhancements to the mix.

It is an early beta though so i don't advise using it professionally at the moment.
If you want to help out bug-squashing go ahead, save often and don't cry over lost data (Now this sounds worse than it is but some people tend to expect a fully finished, flawless product which it is not at the moment).

From experience i might also add that Nevercenter is highly communicative and quick in developing this app so bug-hunting can be quite rewarding *g*

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
Agreed. I wouldn't plan to use 2.0 until it was out of beta. But I'd get 1.x now and a free upgrade to 2.0 all for $110, so it is very tempting.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#7]
Had a quick play with the demo yesterday and bought it first thing this morning. It's a really slick piece of software. The new V2.0 features can only make it even better, but it's already better than any other modeller I've used. I can really see why even people with Max, Maya or Lightwave are buying this for modelling. It's like Blitz for modelling. It makes modelling fun again.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#8]
Silo has got to be the best purchase I've made in a long time (other than Blitz that is).

I don't get the free upgrade to 2.0 because I bought Silo in August 2004 but the upgrade to 2.0 will only cost me about £35 or near that amount so it's a bargain.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#9]
So they'll let you upgrade for less than the difference between the old price and the new price? That's very cool. Good to see people rewarding existing customers instead of only rewarding new customers. In fact, NeverCenter's customer service policy seems to be good all around, which is rare.

Kong(Posted 2006) [#10]
Version b of the Silo 2 beta has been released. Link is on the NeverCenter forums.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#11]
Wow, that looks awesome. I'm download the demo now :D

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#12]
Does anyone use Silo and 3dsMax? If so, how do you get meshes from Max to Silo and back again? I've tried the silo exporter/importer, but it ignores vertex normals, making it fairly useless, and I know that 3ds won't work. As far as I can see, that only leaves DXF and OBJ. Do either of those formats support vertex normals?

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#13]
I don't own 3dsMax (unfortunately for me), but if you are using Silo 1.42 then try the following:
a. Select All
b. From the Modify menu select Unify normals (IMPORTANT: Save your work first!!! because many times Unify normals causes Silo 1.42 to freeze)
c. Try to export in OBJ and 3DS or DXF format to see which is better for 3dsMax
d. If you made your model using Instance Mirror command then before exporting you must use the De-Instantiate Mirror command on all object instances
Of course all the above are not a solution but only gidelines I hope to help

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#14]
tryed silo for the first time today i didnt know the interface would be so close to cinema 4d, its really nice i always thought that the interface was the best thing about cinema 4d so getting into silo is so easy for me because everythings in the same place apart from camera control. its so cool!

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#15]
New beta released...