Free Poser5 (wish I hadn't bought Poser 4 now:(

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Free Poser5 (wish I hadn't bought Poser 4 now:(

Matty(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/free_poser_5_english_full_version_product_21989

Limited time only it seems....

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#2]
Thanks for the notice. I, too, am a Poser 4 owner, but I bought it back in 1999, so I don't much mind them making 5 available for free after that long <g>. I passed on 5 since reading that it was glitchy (at least at release). And 6 looks too high-poly-oriented for realtime games to me, so I've just stuck with 4. But I'm glad to have a chance to try out 5 for free.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
how's the copyright with all those poser charcters? Can you use them in your products? Or do you have to import your own meshes?

sigi(Posted 2006) [#4]
You can not use it in your own products. I have Poser6 and it is clearly stated.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
yeah with Poser 5 characters running into 35,000 polys or so you'd be daft to try but you can render them into sprites and/or make movies clips and use them.

They are very useful for some projects:

http://www.smartscreenuk.com/NationalSpaceCentre_Tranquillity_Base.html

Check out the video bottom right... ;)

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
sigi - do they allow to use their animations with selfmade models? Is that possible at all?

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#7]
You can not use it in your own products. I have Poser6 and it is clearly stated.

Fortunately my Poser 4 from MetaCreations has no such statement. :) Not that I'd use their default characters, anyway. In fact, I haven't touched it in a couple of years - Milkshape, Ultimate Unwrap, Character FX, and Carrara have taken its place. But I'm still a bit curious to see if 5 is decent or not.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#8]
WendlelM,

It is really the characters which are the copyright issue, and I believe the copyright extends over all of them unless clearly stated.

If you put your own charatcers in there, they could not have an issue with it as far as I know.

jfk - Do you mean the bvh stuff? I don't know, but a quick email to their technical support would tell you.

IPete2.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks, Pete. Yeah, it'd be my own characters, not the ones that come with Poser - they're too familiar. I wouldn't want any game to be like when I see a very obviously Poser-made ad on TV or the web that uses the unmodified stock characters. :) Plus, when exported they're often bald and have "teh zombie eyes!!"

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#10]
hey.. thanks for the heads up..
the offers seems to expire today, but it's US time I think, so I still managed to get a copy..

sigi(Posted 2006) [#11]
Using own Characters with their animations should be ok.
This is what i am trying to do.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#12]
"Due to overwhelming demand we are extending this offer through Midnight Friday September 8th, 2006."

Nice freebie, too bad I bought P6 just 6 months ago... :)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#13]
Tee hee Mustang,

Apparently you can adjust Poser 6 characters inside the Vue 6 we were discussing recently too!

IPete2.

Takuan(Posted 2006) [#14]
Cool, thank you for that link.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#15]
Using animations with your own characters is only allowed if you're exporting 2D rendered images. You can't use them if you plan to export your models once animated and use them in 3d. ( Likely because you are again distributing the content, albeit that the animation is embedded in the model, it is probably extractable. )