MAX 8, Blitz3d and Pipeline?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/MAX 8, Blitz3d and Pipeline?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

I want to do some real basic animations on some 3ds models I have created. By simple animations I mean for example stretching them over say 8 frames.

I have MAX 8. So once I get the animation done. Then what?

I hear lots about a pipeline. What is it? Do I need it? Where can I get it? How do I use it?

Or should I use Blender/Silo/Milkshape for simple models and simple animations?

Many thanks.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#2]
look in Specs and Utils

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
Where is Specs and Utils?

What I really want to know is the best animation package to buy/use etc. I want to do simple stuff to begin with.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#4]
It's at the top of your screen, just below the Home, Products, etc tabs. That's where you can get b3d exporters for several tools, including 3D Studio Max.

"Best" is a relative term. 3D Studio Max is certainly one of the best tools around for doing pro work, and if you intend to advance your skills later then you will want that, but for simple stuff to begin with you might consider a lesser tool to fit your budget. It doesn't really matter which one you choose, despite all the righteous anger people pour into these debates. Just make sure it can export animation to b3d file format (or to .x so that you can convert using Ultimate Unwrap.)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]
So is there a pipeline for MAX 8 - though it was only for 6.

Also neither lightwave exporter links work :-(

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#6]
As far as I know, all plugins for 3D Studio Max 6 also work on both 7 and 8.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
I have a problem. Using MAX6 and latest pipeline with the patch. During the export it runs fine in the preview window. It is a SIMPLE mesh that is just stretched over 16 frames. I load with LoadAnimMesh and use Animate. But the animation isn't working. Yes I'm using UpdateWorld :-)

I have also tried...

Scene=LoadAnimMesh(Pak("spring.b3d"))
spring=GetChild(Scene,1)

But then Blitz says spring has no animation!

It's not boned, whatever that is. Do I need to use bones? If so, how / why?

Any ideas?!!???!

I have exported to unwrap and can even see the anim working in there. I then export from there to b3d. It loads but still no animation!!!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#8]
[edit]
I was animating then copying the mesh. I now copy THEN animate! It works! Yee-hah!

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#9]
I've been using the Blitz3D pipeline since Max 5 at our school.

We just upgraded to Max 8. The pipeline (with the version 6 patch) seems to work fine up until export, and then it crashes. Anyone else have this problem?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#10]
Fine here.