About b3d file structure

Community Forums/Developer Stations/About b3d file structure

zzz(Posted 2006) [#1]
Im having troubles with getting the b3d files i produce to work, so i have some questions :o

First off, is the content at this link still correct?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/sdkspecs/sdkspecs/b3dfile_specs.txt

If so, i was wondering mainly about defining chunk length, should i count number of bytes im writing to file, or count 'items' that i am writing, as in, if i write XYZ values for a vertex, should i count that as 12 or 3 in length? Everything seems to be 4 bytes in length.

Im trying to whip together a b3d exporter for blender, but as of 1 hour ago i knew nothing about python, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out :o

zzz(Posted 2006) [#2]
Not sure if this is the correct place to put it, but oh well.

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#3]
been a while since I've messed with the B3D format, but if I remember correctly, chunk length was in bytes.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yeah it was, got some of it working, playing around with bone influences now.

When getting face uv data, should i just store it per-vertex as it comes and write it that way, or do i need to consider some special order/whatever?

zzz(Posted 2006) [#5]
Anyone have any suggestions about above question?

I guess i could create individual verts for each face, but that would complicate things a lot when getting influences from the armature later :$

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
I released some code some time ago that saves a static B3D with UVs, this might help. Seek for "SaveB3D" in Codearchives > Manipulate Meshes >

zzz(Posted 2006) [#7]
This is going slowly lol, working now so i dont have any time really to work on this.

That should help some jfk :o

Managed to get animations out of blender now, need to do math stuff, then it should work, hopefully.

zzz(Posted 2006) [#8]
I managed to run into another problem now, blitz will only load 1 bone from the exported files, and the model get messed up really bad ( model were fine until i added armatures ).

At the moment i am writing default values to both bone nodes and keys, would that have something to do with it? ( Figured it would not mess things up )

File structure ( accordingly to my script ):

Going to see if i can put the b3d somewhere for download also.

EDIT:Some bells started ringing will reading this post again, the mesh makeover problem is no more, lol.