Simplest animation program?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Simplest animation program?

IKG(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is a pretty simple one. I just need some suggestions on what is the simplest animation program out there.

Animation master looks great because of how dragging a hand or arm reacts, but it's $300. PaceMaker looks like it might do the same, yet it's cheaper. Overall I just need a program that is very simple to use (interface, etc.)

Thanks!

Iamhere(Posted 2006) [#2]
Look in the Toolbox section, there are some you can test the demos of them.
The only freeware is AnimB3D, I made the mouse movements
like Wings3D, because it's my favorite 3D Editor.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#3]
Blender is free. I don't like it, but other people do. http://www.blender.org

and Charactrer FX is cheap and simple http://www.insanesoftware.de/

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#4]
I say go with PaceMaker. It is a great mixture of several animation programs and is extremely intuitive to use. The support from its creator is also fantastic and there are some nice videos tutorials for it, the list goes on.

Jason.

ervin(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yes indeed - go with PaceMaker.

Absolutely excellent program, and support from the author is top-notch. He's been very helpful with my silly questions.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#6]
Update 1.34 just released :) More video guides on the way to demo the new features - most important new feature is the ability to share animation between different models - even if the models don't have the same structure or proportions.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#7]
Has anyone here ever used Animation Master? I'm most likely going to get Pacemaker if I choose to animate, but I would first like to hear other people's opinions about AM. Too bad AM doesn't have a trial..

Thanks.

Edit: I'm liking Pacemaker so far :D

Edit 2: I'm 99% sure I'll be getting Pacemaker now. Only thing that really bothers me is the undo. It undos more than 1 step per undo. May sound like a small problem, but I've messed up more than 1 animation that way.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#8]
@IKG - It's definitely not supposed to undo more than 1 step at a time as this would be counter productive to say the least :)
Try switching off the IK before using the undo - if its on - it could be that that is influencing the models position when undoing.E.g If some of the joints have been set outside the joint limits - undoing to that position with IK enabled causes the joints to move back to their limits.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well it's not even that big a problem to me anyway ;)

Only thing I haven't tried yet is really using the IK to make animations.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#10]
ive got maya and motionbuilder licences and i still use Pacemaker on low poly stuff so that shows how good i think it is!

Pete

Alberto(Posted 2006) [#11]
Has anyone here ever used Animation Master?

Some years ago
Good but it used splines rather then tris
not suitable for games
It can export the .x file but some problems as far as I know

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#12]
another vote for Pacemaker here...

--Mike

QuietBloke(Posted 2006) [#13]
I did use AM many years ago.. around 6 years ago. At the time I thought it was great.. much better than the other cheap alternatives at the time ( truespace, bryce etc ).

The drawback to it was it was a bit buggy though Im sure its a lot more stable now.

It also is spline based which meant it really was pretty much stand alone. Import/export was pretty flakey... it didnt bother me at the time as I was just mucking about creating models and animations.

I just had a quick peek into the Hash AM forums and it seems these last few months Hash have been working hard at fixing the export modules as more users have been wanting to use AM for creating 3d content for games.