3dsMax - Edit Model without affecting rig?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3dsMax - Edit Model without affecting rig?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have an animated model in 3dsMax, Physique, I think, rather than Skin. I want to make a low poly version of it for stencil shadow purposes, and I'm quite happy to edit it by hand, but it has a few thousand frames of animation and a nice rig on it. I would really hate to have to redo that, so I'd like to know if there's a way to edit the underlying model without affecting the animation. I tried dropping down the stack to the Editable Mesh level and editing it, but when I come back up to Physique, at the top of the stack, the animation is FUBAR'ed with vertices going everywhere.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#2]
Impossible I think, there is some other software that is not 3dsMax that can do what you want, but that is another story...

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#3]
why don't you model your lower poly character sepreatly from scratch and bind it onto the same bone system

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#4]
Impossible I think

Yep, I was afraid of that.

why don't you model your lower poly character sepreatly from scratch and bind it onto the same bone system

Mainly because I'm not very good at rigging. I didn't rig the original, and I'd prefer not to rig the stencil shadow version, although I clearly have a little more leeway with a stencil only version.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#5]
>Mainly because I'm not very good at rigging.

Start learning, it's fun and it's easy and there is tutorial with max that helps you learn ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
Read it, done it, still lousy at it ;)

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#7]
3DSMax can do it, but only with Skin modifier. (Physique is outdated and surpassed by newer versions of Skin)
With Skin you can edit the underlaying mesh all you want, and Skin will automatically update its weights according to the changes/additions/deletions of vertices/polys/whatever.

TroM(Posted 2006) [#8]
there's a physic to skin modifier at : http://sparks.discreet.com/
but I think its for Max4 or 5 only

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#9]
I always use skin if I'm doing it ( very badly ) myself, as I find rigging in Physique to be a huge pain in the arse for no real reason. I'll try the physique to skin modifier, to see if that can help.