3D Tool question

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3D Tool question

Lui(Posted 2006) [#1]
What 3D modelling program also saves a modell with alpha channels? I´m using Milkshape3D and ppModeller, but both of then dont save the modell with alpha channels.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#2]
3D models don't contain alpha. It is the texture maps that do, which is saved out from your 2D program.

Lui(Posted 2006) [#3]
I know!! But when i assign a texture with alpha informatins(png,tga,...) in Milkshape to the modell and save it in b3d,x,3ds the alpha information get lost. And when i open them in terra ed, or others there are the areas that should be hidden black, even when the model is using the texture with alpha informations and I use alpha blending in the program. So which program saves WITH the alpha uinformations???

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
So which program saves WITH the alpha uinformations???
Er... BoomBoom is right.

Read the documentation for 'TextureFilters'.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
Do you mean vertexalpha by any chance?

Lui(Posted 2006) [#6]
At GfK: I activated the texture filters for alpha informations an the areas which should ba ´hidden´ are still black.

At Ross C: What do you mean with vertexalpha?

Lui(Posted 2006) [#7]
So i try to exlpain exactly what the problem is:
When I´m making a terrain and want to add some models, the ones which where as examples in the programm, they have alpha information but when i open a model i made on my own the alpha information isn´t there.

Heres a pic to exlpain you what i mean...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#8]
Not sure how to do it in Milkshape, but for example gile[s] can do it too, it will allow you to set every possible flag for the brushes used.

Not sure if an exported 3ds can make use of it, but if you save it as b3d then there's no problem.

BTW yes, other than texture alpha information there is also the Vertex Alpha (optional) in the B3D format, that allows to set the transparency of a triangle exactly the same way as VertexColor is used.

EDIT: doesn't Milkshape allow to set texture settings, instead of entity/mesh settings?

Lui(Posted 2006) [#9]
THX jfk I downloaded the demo version of gile[s] and it seams do work.
No Milkshape doesnt allow to set texture setting, as far as i know.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#10]
It apears you are using ted, if so, within ted there is a section to enter texture filters, which are then transfered to your program via either the EPR system or you can re instate them using the texturefilter command in blitz.
This is and should be unneccassary with B3D format meshes if it contains the filter info for you.
I reccommend using giles to get the B3D file properly flagged, then export it and try again.

Note: You can only use alpha (i think)on 32bit pngs or tgas and they must have an alpha channel (some programs only save as 24bit PSP7 is one) Gimp is really good for this and free :)

Contact me on email if you need more help on this

Lui(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanks D
i´m already using giles for the modells and it works very well.
Thanks for the tip with the texturefilters :) now I can use the modells i already made withuot giles.